Anyone else watching tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Need well over 300 here I would have thought?

Obviously it's looks like I'm talking with the benefit of hindsight but in NZ and Oz and these days 300 is a bog standard score. The minnows are scoring 280 / 290 batting 2nd.

I got in during the innings break and the 3 ex captains were crowing on SKY and I thought it was only a par score then. I'm afraid playing Ballance and Morgan batting ahead of Taylor cost us at least 20 or 30 runs. 340 would have been a great score and it's down to Moores and Morgan why we only scrapped over 300.

Bell did fuck all wrong against Scotland

few more like him and we wouldn't of been bowled out for fuck all in our first 2 games.

Notice how Bell gets stick for getting 50, but Root gets nothing for getting 2? Why is that?

got to remember Australia made 150 in their last game, they have set the pace
Because Bell and Root have the same number of ODI hundreds even though Bell's played more than 100 games more than Root?

Obviously it's looks like I'm talking with the benefit of hindsight but in NZ and Oz and these days 300 is a bog standard score. The minnows are scoring 280 / 290 batting 2nd.

I got in during the innings break and the 3 ex captains were crowing on SKY and I thought it was only a par score then. I'm afraid playing Ballance and Morgan batting ahead of Taylor cost us at least 20 or 30 runs. 340 would have been a great score and it's down to Moores and Morgan why we only scrapped over 300.
300 is just a bog standard score these days. We rarely get it, but all the teams above us in the rankings it's perfectly do-able for them every game.

So it's an achievement for us but you need the better part of 300 these days to cause pressure as scoring a run a ball is not hard anymore.

300 is just a par score nowadays but should be difficult to get as long as your chipping away at the wickets.

Our bowling attack is so dull now . Saker has failed to bring through any quality Seamers during his time. He should've been got rid of last winter as well.

Look at NZ v Aus yesterday 150 plays 150 with quality attacking bowling 300 helps but we shouldn't need to score 300 plus to win every game.

Absolutely hapless. The BBC are reporting that in our last two World Cup games v Sri lanka they have scored something like 547 for 3 against us.

To recap; we have Ballance at 3 and Bopara waiting in the wings.

Yet: Hales is eating crisps in the dressing room, Lumb is in the Uk drinking with his mates down the pub, Stokes is washing dishes at home and Peitersen is sunning himself somewhere in the caribbean.

Only at the ECB could this happen.

Absolutely hapless. The BBC are reporting that in our last two World Cup games v Sri lanka they have scored something like 547 for 3 against us.

To recap; we have Ballance at 3 and Bopara waiting in the wings.

Yet: Hales is eating crisps in the dressing room, Lumb is in the Uk drinking with his mates down the pub, Stokes is washing dishes at home and Peitersen is sunning himself somewhere in the caribbean.

Only at the ECB could this happen.
It's not just me who has to wash the dishes then...

(Agree with post)

Aye, it looks like they were 20-30 runs short combined with a toothless bowling attack.

the paper this morning is (partly) blaming predictable bowling in that they have only right-arm medium fast plus off spin to offer, no left-armers.

Only watched Englands innings one thing i noticed was how many times did they hit the ball straight to the fielder at mid wicket, point or cover during the middle overs when they where supposed to be rotating the strike. If Sri lankas bowling attack had have been more disciplined and not given away so many extras England would have got 270 tops.
England play the 50 over game the way counties play it in this country, nudge the ball about try to get to 250/270 runs then when you bowl don't attack but bowl medium pace on a tight line and hope the opposition batsmen get themselves out. It is all very formulated and very English way to play cricket.

The set up is a joke. Morgan couldn't hardly get a game and ended up as captain.

All the blocking and leaving in the middle overs was so frustrating to watch. They needed to adopt the same approach in those overs that Root did after he reached his ton. Mind you the way we bowled and they batted they would have got whatever they needed.

Aye, it looks like they were 20-30 runs short combined with a toothless bowling attack.

the paper this morning is (partly) blaming predictable bowling in that they have only right-arm medium fast plus off spin to offer, no left-armers.
The whole thing, a bit like the England football team, looks to formulaeic and straight out of a coaching manual. the other teams seem to play with a bit of freedom and seem to enjoy playing. It looks like a chore to our lads.

The set up is a joke. Morgan couldn't hardly get a game and ended up as captain.

All the blocking and leaving in the middle overs was so frustrating to watch. They needed to adopt the same approach in those overs that Root did after he reached his ton. Mind you the way we bowled and they batted they would have got whatever they needed.
I'd look on it slightly differently.

Because they lost Modern, Ballance and Bell within, what the first 15 overs it meant the next men in had to consolidate, and then they lost Morgan just when he should be kicking on.

ie the strike rate was dictated by wickets lost. It still means we lost of course, but the eventually score was not that far off and the bowling was crap.

** I've just looked at the averages, if you want to pick a left armer according to the averages you're looking at either Sidebottom (gettin on a bit) or Barker of Worcs. (I remember him, big barrel-chested bloke and bowled well a CLS and won the match for them I'd say) next up I'd guess would be Willey, but he was injured for much of last season.

England are only the second team to lose an ODI by nine wickets after posting 300 in the first innings

England have lost nine ODIs after making at least 300 batting first, the most by any team

Sri Lanka are the first team in World Cup history to chase down a target of 300-plus for the loss of one wicket

Sri Lanka are effectively 644-2 in their past two ODIs (332-1 & 312-1) and 543-1 in their last two World Cup matches against England (231-0 & 312-1)

Sangakkara's 70-ball century was the joint fifth fastest in World Cup history

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/31680377

I thought that this was illuminating as well: https://twitter.com/JohnSunCricket/status/571920385865719808

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back