Andrian Durham: Re: Jack Colback as the Ginger Pirlo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Colback will play for England. I've said it for a long time.
His fundamental skills are solid and that means you can climb the ladder without looking out of place. He might not be prolific but it his basic skills and ball protection are so good it's difficult for even superior players to get the better of him. I think that's why he gets fouled so much, he protects the ball with his body as well as most you'll see.
It's a shame he doesn't play for us anymore as any England call up for an ex-academy player will be tainted by the shirt he currently wears.

Sad thing is, Colback will get an England call up, simply down to the wankathon via the media and the mags.
Correct, the England squad are picked by the media, consequently a love in over Colback will result in his call up probably after many withdrawals by other players, there aren't many to pick from these days.

PS I don't see Cattermole making the England squad any time soon.

I think you should be proud as a club if Englands midfield ever consisted of Henderson and Colback. When was the last time Newcastle had trained two English cm's? It speaks highly of your youth system.

Im not saying Colback is England quality, but at the current state of the England squad surely we have to try something different? I would cap a number of different players from
Now until the Euros to encourage competition.

Correct, the England squad are picked by the media, consequently a love in over Colback will result in his call up probably after many withdrawals by other players, there aren't many to pick from these days.

PS I don't see Cattermole making the England squad any time soon.

Agreed. Has a temperamental rep by the media and many pundits. Plus, he doesn't play for the great Geordie nation :lol:

I think you should be proud as a club if Englands midfield ever consisted of Henderson and Colback. When was the last time Newcastle had trained two English cm's? It speaks highly of your youth system.

Im not saying Colback is England quality, but at the current state of the England squad surely we have to try something different? I would cap a number of different players from
Now until the Euros to encourage competition.

Colback is nowhere near the player Henderson was/is.

Yes, we'd be proud but Colback is not England class. Luckily, Adrian Durham is unlikely to have much influence as far as picking him is concerned

I believe Colback will play for England. I've said it for a long time.
His fundamental skills are solid and that means you can climb the ladder without looking out of place. He might not be prolific but it his basic skills and ball protection are so good it's difficult for even superior players to get the better of him. I think that's why he gets fouled so much, he protects the ball with his body as well as most you'll see.
It's a shame he doesn't play for us anymore as any England call up for an ex-academy player will be tainted by the shirt he currently wears.

Colback would have to score a few goals and put in many outstanding displays to get anyway near the England squad. His goal scoring record is poor. About half the goals he has scored have come via deflections, I'm sure youtube will back this up. He has never been consistently outstanding, he has been consistently average. He isn't as good as the likes of Lee Clark who never got anywhere the England squad.

Durham has bulled colback up for a couple of years. Gingers stick together

Colback is nowhere near the player Henderson was/is.

Yes, we'd be proud but Colback is not England class. Luckily, Adrian Durham is unlikely to have much influence as far as picking him is concerned

I wasn't comparing the two players. In all honesty if Colback had signed a new contract and this report came out would you still be saying the same? If so then fair do's. Like I said I dont quite think he is good enough yet, perhaps he will be, perhaps he wont.

I havent seen enough of him, when I saw him last year for you lot he was playing out of position.

Colback would have to score a few goals and put in many outstanding displays to get anyway near the England squad. His goal scoring record is poor. About half the goals he has scored have come via deflections, I'm sure youtube will back this up. He has never been consistently outstanding, he has been consistently average. He isn't as good as the likes of Lee Clark who never got anywhere the England squad.

I think Colback would look exactly the same at levels higher than he does now. Yes, he would look average but he'd be an average international. I think he could play in a better team than newcastle and without being prolific would never look out of place.
It's players with dodgy first touches, inability to get the ball under control quickly and inability to protect the ball who get found out as the standard rises. This is still the case even if those players are very good in other areas.
Great professionals to me are people who can do the basics in their sport to a very high standard consistently. It's very hard to cheat against a player who is fundamentally sound, which i believe Colback is.

I wasn't comparing the two players. In all honesty if Colback had signed a new contract and this report came out would you still be saying the same? If so then fair do's. Like I said I dont quite think he is good enough yet, perhaps he will be, perhaps he wont.

I havent seen enough of him, when I saw him last year for you lot he was playing out of position.

If somebody said 'colback for England' last year, he wouldn't have got the abuse obviously because we would have liked him. But, we all would have known it was bollocks because he's just simply not good enough, whether he can do the basics well is almost irrelevant due to his constant hiding and lack of any speciality to his game. At international level, you have to be able to do more than the basics to earn a place in the side. Cattermole will also never get a look in but he'd be more deserving, he can sit deep and play further forward equally as well, his long range passing puts Gerrard to shame (not in his prime of course) and his pure drive and will to win would take him further than Colback.

And we'd all question the sanity of the country should one of our players not called Adam Johnson be the first picked for England!

He wasn't good enough to play regularly centre midfield. IMO you are playing him out of position, his best position would be holding midfield but he's still not that great there. I would never have touted Colback for England if he'd still be playing for us. He's a great pro, a good utility player (can do a job at left back or left midfield) but nothing but an also ran in midfield.

I do think if Cattermole can have a good run fitness and disciplinary wise he could do the holding job for England. I also think England have a soft underbelly without leaders the likes of Terry and Gerrard. None of the current crop of midfielders can tackle, I'm talking the likes of Henderson, Barkley, Wiltshire and Oxlade Chamberlain. The options are Barry (too old / slow) and Milner or Carrick who'll be lucky to play a dozen games this season.

I don't think Cattermole will get a chance, but that will just be down to his history.

He wasn't good enough to play regularly centre midfield. IMO you are playing him out of position, his best position would be holding midfield but he's still not that great there. I would never have touted Colback for England if he'd still be playing for us. He's a great pro, a good utility player (can do a job at left back or left midfield) but nothing but an also ran in midfield.

I do think if Cattermole can have a good run fitness and disciplinary wise he could do the holding job for England. Why? Because none of the current crop of midfielders can tackle, I'm talking the likes of Henderson, Barkley, Wiltshire and Oxlade Chamberlain. The options are Barry (too old / slow) and Milner or Carrick who'll be lucky to play a dozen games this season.

I don't think Cattermole will get a chance, but that will just be down to his history.

He was like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back