Andrian Durham: Re: Jack Colback as the Ginger Pirlo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because he isnt put in specifically in that position doesnt change what he is.

Exactly. I think some on here judged him differently becasue he happened to be alongside the likes of Cattermole, so people would think well Cattermole is the defensive midfielder so Colback must be the attacking midfielder. Which wrong. We basically played with no attacking midfielders and instead relied on the wider players to be a threat.
It's the exact same reason Larsson gets the criticism he does. He's decent in the role.

It's plainly obvious we play a midfield 3, with one sitting deeper and that's usually Cattermole. The other two move assist in winning the ball back, and moving the ball about in possession. Countless teams the world over do the exact same thing.

Surprisingly I disagree ;)

Lampard is the most selfish player I've seen, that's one of the reason why he scores goals. Well along with great movement and ability to be fair.

IMO the reason Gerrard and Lampard couldn't play together is because Lampard couldn't retain his shape. He wandered wherever he liked, often into areas where other players already were, robbing them of their space and leaving gaps elsewhere. At times as a team player you must make a run you'd rather not to create space for others, Lampard just wouldn't do it. This became more apparent when Hargreaves had that short spell as holding midfielder. Lampard used to still come to get the ball off the centre halves vertically standing on Hargreaves toes! I used to be screaming at the telly saying fuck off Lampard that's the whole point of Hargreaves being in the f***ing team! :oops: :lol:

Sod off with your well thought out football knowledge. You and I both know that common sense has no place on here;)

To use a word employed by the walking dictionary, general guru, sage of all things and king of Shift F7 Joseph Barton esq. Jack Colback playing for England would be a Pyrrhic victory for the academy.

I'd be amazed if it ever happened mind, you need more to your game than being a consistently average Prem. footballer to play for England surely, especially in midfield.

It's the exact same reason Larsson gets the criticism he does. He's decent in the role.

It's plainly obvious we play a midfield 3, with one sitting deeper and that's usually Cattermole. The other two move assist in winning the ball back, and moving the ball about in possession. Countless teams the world over do the exact same thing.

Correct. I think if this thread is anything to go by some of our lot are going to hate Rodwell, cos if Cattermole is the defensive midfielder than he will they will be expecting Rodwell to be more attacking (which might be a bit of an ask of a centre half who got pushed into midfield as a young un).

Just because he isnt put in specifically in that position doesnt change what he is.

Exactly. I think some on here judged him differently becasue he happened to be alongside the likes of Cattermole, so people would think well Cattermole is the defensive midfielder so Colback must be the attacking midfielder. Which wrong. We basically played with no attacking midfielders and instead relied on the wider players to be a threat.

Explain how Colback did so well in the 0-3 game against the mags?

OK I'll start, he made excellent forward runs, linking well with our frontline. He broke into the box, got in a shot on target that led to Johnson's goal and he then scored himself from a similar break. He is capable of getting forward without being an out and out attacking midfielder.

The problem was he never did it anywhere near enough. He used to hide at times, took the easy option far too often and at times point blank refused to use his right foot, turning back on his left to slow any move down and often passing backwards.

Surprisingly I disagree ;)

Lampard is the most selfish player I've seen, that's one of the reason why he scores goals. Well along with great movement and ability to be fair.

IMO the reason Gerrard and Lampard couldn't play together is because Lampard couldn't retain his shape. He wandered wherever he liked, often into areas where other players already were, robbing them of their space and leaving gaps elsewhere. At times as a team player you must make a run you'd rather not to create space for others, Lampard just wouldn't do it. This became more apparent when Hargreaves had that short spell as holding midfielder. Lampard used to still come to get the ball off the centre halves vertically standing on Hargreaves toes! I used to be screaming at the telly saying fuck off Lampard that's the whole point of Hargreaves being in the f***ing team! :oops: :lol:

Not sure what you mean by "ability to be fair" (perhaps that Gerrard's a cheating get, which he is?), but I agree with everything else about Lampard. I hated him in an England shirt.

Gerrard annoyed me more in his Mr Liverpool role - selfish as owt. Seemed to have reigned it in, but let it get the better of him when they threw the league away and he was wasting everything trying to be a hero against Chelsea - that same Gerrard reared it's ugly head in the later stages against Uruguay.

Explain how Colback did so well in the 0-3 game against the mags?

OK I'll start, he made excellent forward runs, linking well with our frontline. He broke into the box, got in a shot on target that led to Johnson's goal and he then scored himself from a similar break. He is capable of getting forward without being an out and out attacking midfielder.

The problem was he never did it anywhere near enough. He used to hide at times, took the easy option far too often and at times point blank refused to use his right foot, turning back on his left to slow any move down and often passing backwards.

He did, but that means nothing. Cattermole is also capable of getting forward. (last season against villa he got himself in a position to miss a one on one twice :lol: and he fired home at the weekend). Colback was basically clever enough to exploit the weaknesses in the mags team and also the formations/tactics being employed. Doesnt mean its the same every week. Lets not forget, Colback was used a fair few times in defence. (which acts as a bit of a clue to how attacking he is, or isnt in this case).

He didnt get forward too often because..... wait for it..... that isnt his natural game!

Well I watched him on Sunday and his display consisted of around a dozen routine safe sqaure passes and two good set play deliveries.
If that qualifies him for the title the "Ginger Pirlo" and an England call up the so be it.

Ginger Pirlo is surely a reference to playing like a 40 year old.

I'm gonna ring Talksport on their premium number and call him a wanker.

He did, but that means nothing. Cattermole is also capable of getting forward. (last season against villa he got himself in a position to miss a one on one twice :lol: and he fired home at the weekend). Colback was basically clever enough to exploit the weaknesses in the mags team and also the formations/tactics being employed. Doesnt mean its the same every week. Lets not forget, Colback was used a fair few times in defence. (which acts as a bit of a clue to how attacking he is, or isnt in this case).

He didnt get forward too often because..... wait for it..... that isnt his natural game!

Surprisingly I agree :D

However, as I mentioned when writing about Lampard you have to do things that aren't your strong suit for the good of the team.

Colback isn't a great passer or creator of goals, isn't a great attacker or goal scorer and is no better than OK defensively. Doesn't really leave a lot does it? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back