5/3/1 - Possible training log

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're talking yourself out of it before you've even started.

I find my legs turn to jelly some days and it's just me not wanting to do it.

Wasn't meant to come across like that. More that I probably wouldn't push as hard on jokers today. Managed the 140kg for 5 and then did 145 and 155 x 3 as jokers. I'm going to start squatting every day again. Even if it's just 3-4 sets of paused squats at quite a low weight. My appetite just hasn't been the same since I cut to two squat sessions a week and I'm pinning it on that!

Got through a lot of deadlift volume doing quite slow deliberate reps focusing on absolute perfect form and worked up to a nice, steady double on 180kg.

Off out for me Sunday dinner in a couple of hours and I'm ravenous :lol:

Speaking of high volume deadlift sets - is touch and go acceptable? I'd always thought not but the lad at my gym with the sub-junior British record seems to do all his 5+ sets touch and go and all of his <5 sets truly dead. @Titus @The Spezial One @Thurston Thoughts?

Wasn't meant to come across like that. More that I probably wouldn't push as hard on jokers today. Managed the 140kg for 5 and then did 145 and 155 x 3 as jokers. I'm going to start squatting every day again. Even if it's just 3-4 sets of paused squats at quite a low weight. My appetite just hasn't been the same since I cut to two squat sessions a week and I'm pinning it on that!

Got through a lot of deadlift volume doing quite slow deliberate reps focusing on absolute perfect form and worked up to a nice, steady double on 180kg.

Speaking of high volume deadlift sets - is touch and go acceptable? I'd always thought not but the lad at my gym with the sub-junior British record seems to do all his 5+ sets touch and go and all of his <5 sets truly dead. @Titus @The Spezial One @Thurston Thoughts?

A few year ago I'd have thought nothing of sets of 10 reps on deads but the more I know now I never do more than 5 at most but always now re-set before I pull again.

That's a personal choice mind because I've now got a herniated disc and I think it's from poor form in dead lifting heavy whilst doing high reps. Your body gets fatigue and form becomes lazy which is dangerous.

Better safe than sorry really for the sake of a second or two.

Last edited:
A few year ago I'd have thought nothing of sets of 10 reps on deads but the more I know now I never do more than 5 at most but always now re-set before I pull again.

That's a personal choice mind because I've now got a herniated disc and I think it's from poor for, in dead lifting heavy.

Better safe than sorry really for the sake of a second or two.

Tbh it's rare I do more than 5 reps on deads ever. Week 1 of a 5/3/1 cycle where I may hit the 5+ set for 6/7 and then quit regardless of how I feel to go for heavier 5 rep sets. Or on lighter weights about 50-60% of my 1rm. That's it.

My form must have been sweet as today. Despite it being primary squat day and doing a lot of deadlifts my back barely feels like it's done anything. So the muscular pain will hit tomorrow which means I've done it right :lol:

I did clonk my knee badly with the bar though.

Depends. If you can maintain good form, then some people find it a valuable too. Personally, I can't so I don't. I know George Leeman really values touch and go.

Depends. If you can maintain good form, then some people find it a valuable too. Personally, I can't so I don't. I know George Leeman really values touch and go.

Me neither. I start increasing the distance between the bar and my shins and losing my lower back.

OHP was last night in 5/3/1 week. Just hit 65kg for a triple and went back to first set last as I wanted to work harder on bench after.

3x5x80kg and 2x90kg as working sets on that. Bent over rows as accessory.

Eating nothing all day yesterday (stress as I organised a symposium and was speaking) didn't seem to affect me too badly. Pigged out on git massive pork pies, scotch eggs and egg custards when I got home.

Hit 200kg deadlift for a double last night then dropped it down to first set last.

Lots of volume on squats.

I'm feeling in need of a deload now so looking forward to next week.

Hit 200kg deadlift for a double last night then dropped it down to first set last.

Lots of volume on squats.

I'm feeling in need of a deload now so looking forward to next week.

Good deadlifting mate. 5 plates soon?

You fancy the competition on 22nd February?

Good deadlifting mate. 5 plates soon?

You fancy the competition on 22nd February?

Should happen quite soon. Like I say, I hit 210 for a single in week 3 of the last 3 week cycle. Possibly some time near Christmas and quite easily after I'd say.

It's a definite possibility. Whereabouts will it be? I've ordered a singlet like so I am definitely going to compete in the new year.

Speaking of Christmas/New Year, I'm going to be in the North East between Christmas and the New Year, Durham area but might have my car with me. Where's a good place to train with reasonable day rates that's likely to be open?

Should happen quite soon. Like I say, I hit 210 for a single in week 3 of the last 3 week cycle. Possibly some time near Christmas and quite easily after I'd say.

It's a definite possibility. Whereabouts will it be? I've ordered a singlet like so I am definitely going to compete in the new year.

Speaking of Christmas/New Year, I'm going to be in the North East between Christmas and the New Year, Durham area but might have my car with me. Where's a good place to train with reasonable day rates that's likely to be open?

This one is in Birmingham, although I think there's a comp in London in January and then another comp in Eton in March.

This one is in Birmingham, although I think there's a comp in London in January and then another comp in Eton in March.

I wish the London one was a bit later, travel wise and all that it'd be so much more convenient for me. Birmingham and Eton will be a right faff.

I wish the London one was a bit later, travel wise and all that it'd be so much more convenient for me. Birmingham and Eton will be a right faff.

To be fair, getting to Eton is only a short train journey from London. The venue isn't too far from Slough station

I doubt there will be many places open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back