5/3/1 - Possible training log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be starting 5/3/1 this week with the 'boring but big' accessory template.

Had planned on just staying with 5x5 but sadly I'm very flighty and fancied a change after three months back on it.

I have one reservation, is squatting 1 out of 4 training days enough? If not, is it possible to incorporate more squat work into my routine, even if it's not the day's primary movement?

Also might start using this as a log to keep me motivated. Starting to hit some respectable numbers and it's about now I start getting arrogant and throwing it all away by chasing bigger numbers. If people on here help keep me accountable it might be easier to stay at it and get really strong!

Yes it is, instead of doing the higher rep stuff of the same exercise change it to one of the others, on the day you deadlift whatever pathetic weight you're lifting these day days use that day as your squat accessory day. So you've got 2 days a week for every movement.

You're probably advanced enough now to customise everything you do for yourself.

In my case I'm weakest at the bottom of the squat so if I was doing 5/3/1 I'd do a normal low bar squat then on deadlift day I'd do pause or box squats.

Yes it is, instead of doing the higher rep stuff of the same exercise change it to one of the others, on the day you deadlift whatever pathetic weight you're lifting these day days use that day as your squat accessory day. So you've got 2 days a week for every movement.

You're probably advanced enough now to customise everything you do for yourself.

In my case I'm weakest at the bottom of the squat so if I was doing 5/3/1 I'd do a normal low bar squat then on deadlift day I'd do pause or box squats.

Hammies on my descent seem to be my weakpoint. They really struggle on the descent.

Could this mean... sumo deads as my squat accessory? I'll take that :cool:

Hammies on my descent seem to be my weakpoint. They really struggle on the descent.

Could this mean... sumo deads as my squat accessory? I'll take that :cool:
How do you know, have you watched a video of yourself? I've no real idea what muscles are weakest I just know that if I can get about 2 inches out of the bottom the rest is easy.

Need to be squatting more than once a week IMO. Make it a secondary lift to your deads. Which version of the book are you getting your templates from? His new book has a few things he now considers as neessary.

How do you know, have you watched a video of yourself? I've no real idea what muscles are weakest I just know that if I can get about 2 inches out of the bottom the rest is easy.

Because I struggle to control the descent sometimes and my form becomes subsequently bad when that happens.

Need to be squatting more than once a week IMO. Make it a secondary lift to your deads. Which version of the book are you getting your templates from? His new book has a few things he now considers as neessary.

To be honest I just took it off the strength standards calculator. I have a PDF of his book that Spezial One sent me somewhere but I can't remember which version it was.

I'd recommend reading 'Beyond 5/3/1'. If you can't find it via google I've still got it somewhere.

Because I struggle to control the descent sometimes and my form becomes subsequently bad when that happens.

To be honest I just took it off the strength standards calculator. I have a PDF of his book that Spezial One sent me somewhere but I can't remember which version it was.

The one I sent you mate had all of the templates in. Choose one that you can squat 2-3 times a week.

He's got this new one too...

http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-beach-body-challenge

Make sure to include joker sets and back down sets IMO. I think he lists both as things he'd recommend everybody incorporates.

Would sumo deads not qualify as a squat hybrid sort of thing

I wouldn't class them as one. Not sayingt hey won't carry over mind

29/10/14

Not ideal but had to have the first session on Tuesday (yesterday) night owing to an awkwardly timed work meal.

Did as JW said and picked a very conservative training 1rm which resulted in me hitting the prescribed top set of 5+ presses for 12 reps. I think I'll be upping this one by more than 5lbs next mesocycle!

Assistance work was boring but big on press only followed by some close-grip, paused bench press.

I did do some rows and squats but only to show my mate some things re: form. The intensity was absolutely nothing.

Took in ~4,200 calories.

Deadlifts tonight. The programme has 160kg x 5+ reps which, again, I should steam through. I'm probably looking at 8-10 on that easily.

Will do boring but big accessory work at a deficit and paused squats.

I'll start using 5/3/1 but only after I've piedified it.

Gonna be 4 main lifts once a week with 5 sets of ten for 2 of the others as assistance.

Sumo deadlifts. 3x5
Bench 5x10.
Box squat 5x10
Cable pulls /grip strength.
Overhead press 3x5
Deadlift 5x10
Pulls.
3.Squat 3x5
Pulls
Oly lifts.
Bench 3x5
Overhead press 5x10.
Pulls /grip

Add squats to workout 4 and bench to workout 3

Logon or register to see this image
29/10/14

Did as JW said.

Last edited:
Reet, the salient points are that in my week of 3 rep top sets thus far I managed 10 for OHP and 7 for deadlift. Bench tonight.

Jim man, what are you playing at!?

Nah, I'm experienced enough to know now that you don't have to be lifting near your max to get stronger.

Diet needs to be upped somehow as I'm starting to appear 'cut' and I need a winter blubber layer.

Reet, the salient points are that in my week of 3 rep top sets thus far I managed 10 for OHP and 7 for deadlift. Bench tonight.

Jim man, what are you playing at!?

Nah, I'm experienced enough to know now that you don't have to be lifting near your max to get stronger.

Diet needs to be upped somehow as I'm starting to appear 'cut' and I need a winter blubber layer.

Do heavier sets after that when you're feeling good mate.

"Joker Sets

This is the best new addition to the 5/3/1 program and I believe that Joker sets should always be in your training program. If you take anything from this book and add it to your training, let it be Joker sets

In fact, I believe in the Joker sets and the first set last so much that I believe it should be standard part of the 5/3/1 program." - JW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back