33 years ago today, a Rowell penalty won..

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

us a momentous victory at mighty Liverpool.
Missed it tho' as got married that day. Mates not impressed as we'd have been there fending off locals wanting a fiver to "watch your car".
Hopefully good omen for today:lol:
Snap!!

The forgotten win at Anfield.

Everyone remembers the last day win in 81 but this one generally seems to have been forgotten. TBF it was pretty low-key in comparison to 81. The Anfield Road End must have just been made all seater and for home fans only - so away fans were now in what seemed to be a newly built standing corner connecting the ARE to the side stand.

Instead of the seething mass of thousands we had at that end in 81 we now had only around 1,000 in that relatively small corner - which probably explains why it isn't remembered like 81. By today's standards, of course, that seems like a very poor turnout but it must have been the norm for away fans at Anfield at the time as that one corner was all there was for away fans. Liverpool wasn't exactly a welcoming place for away fans in the 70s and early 80s...

I don't remember a great deal about the match. Rowell pen in front of the Kop. Liverpool had most of the possession but I don't recall a huge amount of clear chances or great saves.

Link to an excellent Liverpool history site which has links to a match report etc. Phil Neal describes it as "chipping away at Hadrian's Wall with a pen-knife" :).

http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1350

The forgotten win at Anfield.

Everyone remembers the last day win in 81 but this one generally seems to have been forgotten. TBF it was pretty low-key in comparison to 81. The Anfield Road End must have just been made all seater and for home fans only - so away fans were now in what seemed to be a newly built standing corner connecting the ARE to the side stand.

Instead of the seething mass of thousands we had at that end in 81 we now had only around 1,000 in that relatively small corner - which probably explains why it isn't remembered like 81. By today's standards, of course, that seems like a very poor turnout but it must have been the norm for away fans at Anfield at the time as that one corner was all there was for away fans. Liverpool wasn't exactly a welcoming place for away fans in the 70s and early 80s...

I don't remember a great deal about the match. Rowell pen in front of the Kop. Liverpool had most of the possession but I don't recall a huge amount of clear chances or great saves.

Link to an excellent Liverpool history site which has links to a match report etc. Phil Neal describes it as "chipping away at Hadrian's Wall with a pen-knife" :).

http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1350

JTF, great post. Might have to go up in the loft again to see if I have the SE of the day. Doubt it tho for obvious reasons !! Gutted to miss it, gutted, but it's worked out ok as still with the old boiler:lol: @Kid Galahad , nee snitching ya bassa.
Liverpool were always portrayed as a good place to go, when the reality was that it was a nasty place to travel to to watch your team

@JTF cheers for link to website very informative.
Just noticed Leighton James played away at Anfield two weeks in a row for us & Swansea back in 83! http://www.lfchistory.net/Opposition/Players/Profile/5709

You're welcome mate.

Impressed that - according to the Liverpool site - Leighton James managed to play for Swansea at Anfield on 9 April 1983 as he was also playing for us at West Ham on the same day!

Last time I was there Rodger Wylde scored. 1-1?

Yep, that was the following season.

After the game it was traditional for a lot of fans on the Kop to stay behind as the scores were read out over the tannoy. Seem to recall we serenaded them by blasting out "We took the piss again, Liverpool, Liverpool" for about 10 mins.

Welcoming committee at the Shankly Gates afterwards obviously hadn't appreciated that and the police couldn't shift them. We ended up taking a detour round the edge of the park back to the coaches.

JTF, great post. Might have to go up in the loft again to see if I have the SE of the day. Doubt it tho for obvious reasons !! Gutted to miss it, gutted, but it's worked out ok as still with the old boiler:lol: @Kid Galahad , nee snitching ya bassa.
Liverpool were always portrayed as a good place to go, when the reality was that it was a nasty place to travel to to watch your team

I like the idea of you nipping out during the reception to pick up the Footy Echo for the match report :D!

Last edited:

I agree - got chased all over, inside and outside of Anfield on 1/1/77 when we lost 2-0

I agree - got chased all over, inside and outside of Anfield on 1/1/77 when we lost 2-0
Aye, a mate of mine went on the "footy special" and had to run the gauntlet from Lime St to Anfield.

You don't need to worry about @Kid Galahad dobbing you in, it's me you should worry about! Cuckoo, cuckoo :lol:

Link to the famous game in 81 on the Liverpool history site:

http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1215

It includes a link to the match report in the Liverpool Echo. A couple of quotes from it below:

"The army of Sunderland supporters, packed nosily [sic] on the Anfield Road end..."

"The Anfield Road end erupted when CUMMINS put Sunderland ahead."

We've always been a "nosy" lot :D!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back