Your worst ever Sunderland gan at the sol

This one for me. Think with most of the other games I'd at least had a drink. Took this one dry.

Wigan beating us 2-1 in what I think was Bruce's last game was a stinker that sticks in the memory n'all. Only time I've ever got up to leave early. I didn't get out any earlier like cos every other fucker was doing the same.

If you got up to leave that game early there is no way you could have seen the Wigan winning goal.

Some personal ones for me:

When Steve Bruces' Wigan thrashed us 3-0 at the Stadium of Light in the FA Cup. Keane didn't take the cup games seriously

When we got mauled 3-1 by Norwich which marked the beginning of Dick's downfall.

Reading through this remembering some of the shite I’ve sat through. Still haven’t caved and left early in 22 years of attending - no idea how reading through this thread.

As bad as the others were, the derby defeats are always the worst. That 1-1 when Gyan equalised in the last minute still annoys me more than the 4-1 tbh. Should have won that - had the best strike force we’ve probably ever had with Gyan, Welbeck and Bent on the field and we were so poor. Was so angry when we scored I didn’t even celebrate, and remember plenty around us the same, felt we should have been pushing for a winner. Mags were so poor that day it really annoyed me

yeah i didn't celebrate that goal either and was more pissed off with the players
This! Or the Norwich match under O'Neill, I was ready to give up football that day

the 0-0 at home to qpr was shocking under him as well. we had just lost 4-2 at home to west brom a few days earlier

Last edited:
My worst game at the sol was not even the worst game I’ve been to at the sol, Liverpool beat us 1-0 Torres late goal, I was so drunk I missed it somehow and thought we had drew 0-0 only the next day to find out we lost 1-0, I left feeling happy and pissed when I woke up we had lost and my head was banging
Did one like that at Roker Park. The opposition scored in the first couple of miniutes. I was still coming out of the Cambridge at that point. Got in the Fulwell we scored in the 2nd half and i thought we went one nowt up. Game ends there's me thinking we've won one nowt. Wasnt until i come to get the Football Echo on the way home that i see we actually drew ones each. Happy Days 😀

2005/06 season, Sunderland 1-4 Portsmouth
I missed the first half an hour because I had just flown back from Spain. Dropped off at the stadium at about the 30th minute, we were 1-0 up. :lol:

Anyone mentioned the Southampton game under Moyes when their Gabbiadini scored? Felt like a cruel joke and confirmation we weren't ever going to get any better that season.

Cardiff on a very cold November night around 2006
Chopra scored twice iirc.
My worst game at the sol was not even the worst game I’ve been to at the sol, Liverpool beat us 1-0 Torres late goal, I was so drunk I missed it somehow and thought we had drew 0-0 only the next day to find out we lost 1-0, I left feeling happy and pissed when I woke up we had lost and my head was banging
Was a cracking finish by Torres TBF. Rifled it home

Dear me this could be many games but I’ll go with Coventry last year
Metros off so had to get a taxi there from Newcastle
Was pissed by then and then got drinking with feyernoord fans in black cats bar
2 hrs after game downing jagerbombs in Quinn’s bar
Went out for a fag fell over smashed me glasses (150 repair bill) got blood all over a 300 coat that was fucked
Then had to get a taxi back to Newcastle
Staff at the club were brilliant looking after me to be fair after I fell over - which I didn’t deserve

Playing Everton a few years back. Like everyone I had sat through 88 minutes of absolute goalless tedium. The owld biddy sitting behind me taps me on my shoulder and asks if i can pass up her handbag which she has stupidly kick down under my seat. As I am bending over to extract the bloody thing I hear "Goallllllllll" . Looking up I am in time to see the Everton players wildly celebrating their 89th minute win. :evil::evil::evil:

The time I was sick all over myself and a bit on the kid in front on New Year’s Day 2002 (Villa?) after the Herculean effort of getting up to the back of the premier concourse, so left after about 5 minutes. Beat that early leavers!!

Back