Your most memorable meals

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might sound odd but I simply don’t get the fuss over food . To me it’s just a fuel stop - I don’t care what it is as long as it fills me up and doesn’t poison me.

Even worse I can’t be doing with so called experts on tv pretending to be holier than thou in the food stakes - we all enjoy different things , except me , my taste buds are about as sensitive as a welders mitt.

Oh and stop faking enjoyment - pretending to have an orgasm when eating.

Rant over - where’s me Butter Pie?

My last lunch with my nana.

Even though I was a grown up, and she wasn't well at this stage she agreed to have lunch with me. In true nana style she made me something simple but I loved it. Krackawheat with PEK chopped pork, a little Flora and lashing of Coleman's French Mustard...

I'd give anything to be able to go back and have that same lunch with her. Amazing woman.

I had a Lebanese mezze in a restaurant in Tenerife a few years back was totally delicious.

Also had a freshly caught barracuda in Gambia that was pretty special.

My favourite (current) dish to make and eat is a slow cooked beef goulash with mash.... or homemade lentil soup.

In Portugal with some mates. A couple of their families had holiday homes there since they were little and they wanted to take us to a place called Figuerals i think and insisted we got a steak to cook on a stone at the table. Mind blown and the steak was incredible. Just a topper night with great people, great food and lots of alcohol.

Not the best or most expensive. Not your wedding.

Mine would probably be when my parents took us to a carvery restaurant when I was about 10 - I had never been to a restaurant before and the concept of all you can eat red meat was mind-blowing.

Otherwise it would be when I had asian food in Malaysia for the first time in the early eighties.

What are yours?
First time I went to Za Za Bazaar.

Loved it.

The Glasshouse restaurant in Ayia Napa, Cyprus. It was the top rated trip advisor restaurant so we went for our first anniversary last June.

The service, food and ambiance were superb.

Pity we have now split up! 8 years of my life I won't get back, oh dear :)

A few meals stand out for me:

Vegan restaurant "Franchia" in New York served us an astonishingly inventive vegan meal on the last night of our last trip to NYC. One of my favourite bars in Manhattan, "The Ginger Man", is just a couple of blocks away too.

A little osteria called "L'Osteria" in the centre of the wonderful Tuscan hilltop town of Barga served the most simple, unpretentious food and you can watch the chef making his homemade stuffed pasta's before service if you pop in for a drink. Foodie heaven. We'll be back there next September and I can't wait.

A cracking little restaurant called "Tipico" in the middle of the old town of Rovinj in Croatia. They're a young team in there by my word they know how to cook. Loads of veggie options as well as incredible meat and fish dishes.

Restaurant "Pumparela" in Bol on the Croatian island of Brac. Superb food and service to match. It's in a beautiful setting in the harbour. Bliss.

We had a lovely italian meal out in York a year or two ago. My husband, 2 girls and me. The food was very authentic, nothing posh or modern, and the restaurant was small and cosy with candles and italian things everywhere. We really enjoyed each others company, and the girls were actually good eating out for once! 🙄

Another memorable meal was Sunday dinner at the Ivy House. I'd been drinking spirits the night before (which I never do) and thought some food might help the hangover. A couple of mouthfuls in, I had to pop to the loo, was 🤮, felt better, then went back and finished my meal. 🤢 Not my finest hour admittedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back