Young Durham cricketer you thought would make it.

Always thought kit Allen could have made it. On his day he’d take any bowler apart. Cracking cricketer.
Simon Davies from Tudor was another who I thought could of made it. Loved playing us at Hylton.

Last edited:
Always thought kit Allen could have made it. On his day he’d take any bowler apart. Cracking cricketer.
Simon Davies from Tudor was another who I thought could of made it. Loved playing us at Hylton.

Think Simon had business interests that meant he wasn’t really bothered

He loved playing agains everybody and should have played at a higher level

When I saw Andrew Smith from cls when he was a junior I thought he would make it at county level

Micheal Old best junior batter I have seen, just never kicked on

Played with Glenn Robinson throughout his career and always thought he was destined for great things
Can remember facing Lugsden as 14yo when we were playing for under 15s. Lightening best way to describe it ha. He played in the same team as Nicky Trainer back then for Gateshead Fell who I think went on to play County cricket to iirc. Can remember the likes of Neil Ayre of Whitburm dispatching us to all parts of the ground, Stephen Meek another who was in my age category to. Q Hughes and Robin Weston to for Durhsm city. They all use to enjoy playing us ruff arse Horden lads with our cream chinos for whites and a shared club gear bag :lol:

You must have played about the same time as me. Used to play eppleton and batting line up was
Daley
Birbeck
Meek
Mcdonald
Salkeld
Mcbeth
Harvey

They just kept coming 😀😀

Last edited:
When I saw Andrew Smith from cls when he was a junior I thought he would make it at county level

Micheal Old best junior batter I have seen, just never kicked on

Played with Glenn Robinson throughout his career and always thought he was destined for great things

You must have played about the same time as me. Used to play eppleton and batting line up was
Daley
Birbeck
Meek
Mcdonald
Salkeld
Mcbeth
Harvey

They just kept coming 😀😀

Macbeth was a nippy bowler to iirc. Use to be a lad at Hetton Lyons called Harrison who was a cracking player to iirc.

Who do you play for mate? In 45yo now

Macbeth was a nippy bowler to iirc. Use to be a lad at Hetton Lyons called Harrison who was a cracking player to iirc.

Who do you play for mate? In 45yo now

Played at phili I was the same age group as Gary Lavery who u will have payed with
Tony Harrison was canny sharp seem to remember Rochester at cls being nippy too

Yes that will be about right
Was a tough league the county junior league. Once opened the batting against Lyons (didn’t normally) and knocked of 100 against Harrison and errington who worth both quite decent. First game of senior cricket got trainer out 3rd ball only to have my stumps rearranged by lugsden 1st ball 2nd innings when he was returning after having his foot crushed rapid !!!

Some right blasts from the past here

Mind a Durham team from the period with Symington and Pattison etc in makes me cringe. Awful era for the club iirc
Must have been the game I recall too, Bumble was raving about him.

Andrew Pratt looked the part early 2000's but never kicked on. He used to open the batting in one-day cricket to good effect before keeper-batsmen who could whack it were utilised more commonly. Form dropped off fairly quickly though and the Colonel was a cut above.

He would be a number 9 or 10 batsman these days. Woeful batsman who again played in some shocking Durham sides

Last edited:
Some right blasts from the past here

Mind a Durham team from the period with Symington and Pattison etc in makes me cringe. Awful era for the club iirc

He would be a number 9 or 10 batsman these days. Woeful batsman who again played in some shocking Durham sides
Mind some of those youngsters where hung out to dry in the late 90s early noughties because so many had to play together in the same side because the so called senior players where not much better and where has-beens from other counties.

A little harsh on Andrew that imoa

County cricket a loy easier these days I think, overseas players not in the same league as late 90’s early 00’s and England players don’t play either

A little harsh on Andrew that imoa

County cricket a loy easier these days I think, overseas players not in the same league as late 90’s early 00’s and England players don’t play either
I think a lot these days goes off how far you can bat down to.
Pratt played in an era where most sides tail started at 8, and he wasnt much better in at 7... these days test and county sides have centurions coming in at 9 and 10, i think a lot more emphasis has been placed on bowlers rounding out their game.

:lol: He didn't do himself any favours that's for sure but this was before academies. At 18 he had everything to make a great quick bowler but needed guidance. Ended up settling for bowling 25 over off the belt week in, week out, lesser but reasonable pace and awkward bounce, picking a few arguments, kicking over a few stumps etc.
I remember him. We were playing at whickham on the day the lads got beat at home to Barnsley on the way down to the old 3rd division.They were all acting like nobs as the goals went in. He hit one of our lads in the head and fucked his cheek if I remember rightly with a bouncer that never got up and he ducked into it. He could be sharpish mind.

I remember him. We were playing at whickham on the day the lads got beat at home to Barnsley on the way down to the old 3rd division.They were all acting like nobs as the goals went in. He hit one of our lads in the head and fucked his cheek if I remember rightly with a bouncer that never got up and he ducked into it. He could be sharpish mind.

I was at the Barnsley game got back to see the end of the first team game and they were still acting like nobs. Although many of them are my best mates

I was at the Barnsley game got back to see the end of the first team game and they were still acting like nobs. Although many of them are my best mates
It was Silksworth they were playing. I remember them banging and hammering on the windows and generally going crackers.

It was Silksworth they were playing. I remember them banging and hammering on the windows and generally going crackers.

They played a few seasons in the Durham Coast league and there was a lot of that going in with most teams from the Sunderland area. I think there was a always a bit of needle against Silksworth in particular but I cant remember why. It was the same when I played there for the 2s. The cricket was great though dead competitive.
Chris Hewison

He was fantastic him. He went to Notts I think and I would have bet my house he would have made it.

Last edited:

Back