Wrong’un or googly

Anyone okay cricket on here? I’m an armchair fan, never played but I often think it must be easy to play spin.

It’s obviously not but how difficult is it?
The problem was always the dip for me uncertain whether to play forward or back....it’s tricky like if the spinner knows what they’re doing. If they’re just slow bowlers they’re much easier to hit.

I tried bowling leg spin in my final ever over of club cricket. Every one of them came out as a googly, Almost all of them were utter garbage.

Still better than Dom Sibley like....

Gary?
Really interesting about bowling googlies like.
When I was a bairn I could only bowl them, they must be easier to bowl.
The problem was always the dip for me uncertain whether to play forward or back....it’s tricky like if the spinner knows what they’re doing. If they’re just slow bowlers they’re much easier to hit.
Excellent point.

You don't have to spin the ball miles if you can do the batsman in the air and threaten both edges.

Last edited:
I think I was trying to rip it so much I was bowing out the back of the hand. Just call me Kumble :cool:
Used to love Abdul Qadir, full of tricks. Brilliant googly. Warne never had a great googly which is unusual for such a good leggie. Didn’t need it I guess he was so good at everything else.

Really interesting about bowling googlies like.
When I was a bairn I could only bowl them, they must be easier to bowl.

Excellent point.

You don't have to spin the ball miles if you can do the batsman in the air and threaten both edges.
On one of the masterclasses this summer Warne was on about this, they had a few videos sent in from younguns bowling Leg spin their back garden and quite a few were just bowling googlys, he was suggesting that it’s due to not having fully developed muscles and bones so they can’t rotate their wrists as much so the ball comes out as a googly.

Googly. On a tangent, it's always done my head in that spinning it towards Off is Leg Spin, and vice versa. In my limited brain, it has never truly computed.

Back