Would You Have Poyet Back?

I hope not. He’s been a journeyman gaffer all ower the planet since leaving us, never staying anywhere for long. Hopefully he has learnt how the world works now and would now have a bit more nouse and realise where he’s well off.
Managing SAFC under this regime and model won’t affect his standing in the football world. Other owners, Directors, Chairmen, CEOs, DOFs and the media are aware of what SAFC are trying to do and realise it’s a model in its early days. Making a half decent fist of it can only do his rep good. Challenging for promotion would be a huge tick in his box.
I agree completely with everything you’ve written but I think it’s part of Poyet’s South American DNA that he can’t help.

I think his stint at Brighton has been his longest stay anywhere as a manager. It just seems inevitable that his personality will clash with someone and it’ll end up with an inevitable parting of the ways.

For me as a short term option to get us promoted he’d be a good choice but if they’re looking for a long term gaffer Poyet wouldn’t fit the bill.

Go and watch that Bradford cup tie again and then tell me you’d have him back.

Or the Villa home game where they’d scored 4 goals away from home all season then came to the SoL and had scored 4 by the end of the first half.

Poyet ticks a lot of boxes and has done very well with Greece lately too.

He's a very underrated manager IMO.

The one big red flag is he is definitely the type to just pack it in after a bad day at the office mind, and even with Greece was touting himself for other jobs in press conference, so difficult to see him lasting long wherever he goes next.

I don't get the fetishism so many of you have about Will Still.

What exactly has he ever done?

Is it just cos his reputation is not yet tarnished in England?

I just don't get where all the fuss about him comes from.

Flavour of the month with no real history so must be great
100% I’d have him back like.

He’d be a great coach in terms of adding value to players too imho, I know people aren’t fussed about that, but I’m mentioning it in terms of him being a good fit for our set up too.

Experience, cultural and strategic fit, leadership, knows the club and people.
How many managers have we had who lived in town centre.
I never thought he should be sacked
How he got that team playing was the best football of the Short era
And he led us to final of first major trophy since 1992.

Last edited:

Or the Villa home game where they’d scored 4 goals away from home all season then came to the SoL and had scored 4 by the end of the first half.
Or you could watch us absolutely demolish the Mags in their own back yard or some of the football we played in the great escape … or the fans celebrating in the semi-final at Old Trafford.

You can pick odd matches and use them to support either pro or anti Poyet.

Or you could watch us absolutely demolish the Mags in their own back yard or some of the football we played in the great escape … or the fans celebrating in the semi-final at Old Trafford.

You can pick odd matches and use them to support either pro or anti Poyet.
Some unreal highs amongst what was generally pretty rubbish stuff

You can pull up embarrassing games from any managers history. I can trump all that with great games from his era

For me when we got hammered at Southampton was when he lost the plot. He never recovered and stopped trying to play progressive football. The way the whole team performed and was set up after this was abysmal
Yeah it was. But tbh everyone remembers the highs of 13/14. They forget the shit at Hull. They forget the fact we beat Newcastle start of Feb and didn’t win again till April

...or the presser after the Spurs 5-0 (?) where he was talking about a miracle. He'd quite obviously given up.
The players then had a meeting which resulted in our great escape.

Blamed everyone but himself for his shit he was here. If it was a choice between him and lampard though. I’d take him over fat frank

Yeah it was. But tbh everyone remembers the highs of 13/14. They forget the shit at Hull. They forget the fact we beat Newcastle start of Feb and didn’t win again till April

The shit at hull was one week after Wembley when he decided to play an under strength team to ensure he rested players for us to stay up … which we did.
I always argued that was the right decision and no different to hundreds of other managers who played under strength teams in the FACup

You do realise you are talking about the prem when talking about a winless run?
We are looking for a championship manager.

Back