Would You Have Poyet Back?

;):lol:
same phone

I think we need a young coach from Europe with no history of signing players Elwood is comfortable being head coach and therefore won’t get as frustrated with how things work here.
However, if we can’t get the right one, I’d be happy to have Gus back as I think his second season was down to a dreadful transfer window. If we’d moved on from Borini and gone for an alternative option Wickham could have continued up front instead of being pushed out to the left. Also, not signing Alonso and Ki were bad decisions.

I'm not just referring to Poyet here but how successful are returning managers/coaches to clubs, particularly in the second tier?

I ask because we keep having ex-managers (and players tbf) suggested for the job, but I can't think of too many successful returning ones tbh

We did play some good football at times under Poyet and everyone rightly goes crackers over that goal at Old Trafford or the SJP win but my god they were the exception. There were so many games of absolutely turgid, dare I say "Beale-esque", backwards sidewards dross where we looked like we could play until our next match and not score.

Some of the worst football I've ever seen, and I watched Big Sam play long ball to Defoe playing as a lone striker (and somehow, it kinda worked too, which I've never managed to get my head around!)
You must have been watching a different side mate. Was bad in the end but we played some really good football under him. Alonso left back etc. played the mags off the park at st james and got to a cup final where we more than gave a good account of ourselves! The great escape we beat I think chelsea, man u and man city to stop up

You must have been watching a different side mate. Was bad in the end but we played some really good football under him. Alonso left back etc. played the mags off the park at st james and got to a cup final where we more than gave a good account of ourselves! The great escape we beat I think chelsea, man u and man city to stop up
"Was bad in the end"
That's what I meant. As bad as anything I've ever seen.

People have short memories like. He was 💩. Hit on lucky chucking Wickham in. Football was horrendous apart from one 75 pass chance at manu.
Things clicked with a front three of Borini/Giaccherini - Wickham - Johnson. It looked the business in that latter part of the season.

Over the summer though we couldn't get Borini back, and Wickham ended up filling on the left, and Giaccherini missed a lot of the season through a string of injuries. We tried Fletch up front, but he was becoming increasingly ineffective.

Wickham did an ok job filling in on the left, and gave it his all, but it was never his best position. He still finished the season our top scorer, which told its own story about how effective we were in front of goal.

Wickham did an ok job filling in on the left, and gave it his all, but it was never his best position. He still finished the season our top scorer, which told its own story about how effective we were in front of goal.

The Saturday night 0-0 game against Chelsea - CW was MOTM and the best i'd seen him but as you say we were toothless up front.

Got us to a cup final

Kept us up against all the odd

Battered the mags

Aye bradford and hull were shocking inwas there for both. I also got the bus there and back for the Southampton demolition

But still look back with fond memories with gus

Sounds like Sartori and KLD are consulting him based on his quotes in the football league world article this morning can't see him coming back as head coach personally

Some of the worst football I've ever seen, and I watched Big Sam play long ball to Defoe playing as a lone striker (and somehow, it kinda worked too, which I've never managed to get my head around!)
He also played some of the best footy I’ve seen us play. I remember a 30 pass move at Man U before Borini hit the bar
We did play some good football at times under Poyet and everyone rightly goes crackers over that goal at Old Trafford or the SJP win but my god they were the exception. There were so many games of absolutely turgid, dare I say "Beale-esque", backwards sidewards dross where we looked like we could play until our next match and not score.
We looked a good possession based team until we got thumped at Southampton, made poyet change his philosophy

Last edited:
Thought he lost the plot towards the end but expected him to go on to have a good career elsewhere. But his record is;

Sacked after 6 months by AEK Athens
Sacked after 11 games by Betis
Resigned after 9 months at Shanghai Shenua
Sacked after 9 months at Bordeaux
Left by mutual consent after 7 months at Universidad Católica
Contract not renewed by the Greece national team after failing to qualify for the Euros

It's hardly a glistening CV.

Given his relationship with Congerton and the fact he reportedly pulled out of signing Van Dijk to spite him it doesn't bode well for him working under Speakman.

I would actually, about the first (realistic) name mentioned that I would be reasonably happy with.

He complained about the DOF giving him the option of shit player a or shit player b during transfer windows, so it probably wouldn't work.
Wasn’t that defanti though?

His relationship with Speakman would be fascinating ! If he’d been here this season and given the strikers Mowbray was provided with I don’t think he’d have stayed beyond September.
I hope not. He’s been a journeyman gaffer all ower the planet since leaving us, never staying anywhere for long. Hopefully he has learnt how the world works now and would now have a bit more nouse and realise where he’s well off.
Managing SAFC under this regime and model won’t affect his standing in the football world. Other owners, Directors, Chairmen, CEOs, DOFs and the media are aware of what SAFC are trying to do and realise it’s a model in its early days. Making a half decent fist of it can only do his rep good. Challenging for promotion would be a huge tick in his box.

Back