Would a formation change help?

I think that one of the problems with how we’re setting up is that no matter what we’ve done in the last, say, 3 months is that it’s a system that makes sense for a team that is dominating, especially against a team sitting back.

The problem at the start of the season was that we couldn’t break teams down when they did that, so the focus has always been on how to find more space, how to get more players forward, work the ball into the box past a solid compact defence with a midfield sitting in front - we couldn’t get in behind etc

Now, teams aren’t playing against us like that, they’ve realised if you press us, we aren’t good enough to pass it round the press and we have zero out ball in terms of going longer.

Maybe we need to start setting up like we’re the weaker team? Maybe we need to start playing on the counter and sitting a bit deeper? Maybe we need to stop being obsessed with inverted wingers and just have players playing on their strongest side and getting wider - at least that might give us an out ball if teams are pressing us high.
Lot to be said for this… especially when we need to stop chasing wins and start looking solid to make sure we don’t get dragged into a dogfight at the bottom.
The inverted winger strategy works with players like Clarke and Amad/Roberts but doesn’t with their stand ins.
Also time to play a centre half alongside Ballard and push Onein either into midfield or left back .

I honestly don't think a system ever comes into Speakman's train of thought when he decides on recruitment otherwise we woulb't end up with players that don't complement each other. Ibstead we end up with loads of people who prefer playing in a similar role. We end up with players wanting to play the 10 or 8 role in midfield and 6 full backs. No centre forward and no defensive midfielder.
If we are to play inverted wingers we should have attack minded full backs on the overlap to put doubt in the defenders mind.
That probably means having 3 at the back, which we can't cater for and accommodate a midfield 3.
Hume can play in a back 3 and give Pembele a shot with Roberts on the right when Huggins is unavailable.
Cirkin can play on the left with Clarke when he's fit or Alese .
The midfield 2 would be Neil and a.n.other.
And for the moment I'd probably play Bellingham or Rusyn in the central striker role from those available
It’s not data driven at all is it. It’s extremely scatter gun in its approach. We were playing high energy high tempo stuff. The recruitment didn’t match and as a result Mowbray’s hand was forced and we ended up with the slow sideways/backwards possession based crap we see week in week out. We don’t have the players to go back to playing that way. We’ve forced the lad who could link us out the club. It’s a complete mess. The blame lands firmly on the DOF desk.

Make zero difference the glaring issue is for 2 transfers windows we have signed double figure number of players of the summer recruits only Jobe and Seelt have played recently none of them have improved our first team.

Early days but seen better players in league 1 than some of the early showings. The other scary thing is several players such as Hume, Patterson and Ekwah are nowhere near the same level as last season minus Amad that’s why we are in this horrific run of form.

Worst forward options I have ever know is have don’t rate any of them.

Systems appear to count for nothing with this squad as they look a shambles and seem as tho they don't know where they should be or what they should be doing. All down to training and coaching, and there lies the problem.

I honestly don't think a system ever comes into Speakman's train of thought when he decides on recruitment otherwise we woulb't end up with players that don't complement each other. Ibstead we end up with loads of people who prefer playing in a similar role. We end up with players wanting to play the 10 or 8 role in midfield and 6 full backs. No centre forward and no defensive midfielder.
If we are to play inverted wingers we should have attack minded full backs on the overlap to put doubt in the defenders mind.
That probably means having 3 at the back, which we can't cater for and accommodate a midfield 3.
Hume can play in a back 3 and give Pembele a shot with Roberts on the right when Huggins is unavailable.
Cirkin can play on the left with Clarke when he's fit or Alese .
The midfield 2 would be Neil and a.n.other.
And for the moment I'd probably play Bellingham or Rusyn in the central striker role from those available

I think 5-2-3 might suit us best

problem being half the people we'd need to pick are totally out of form.

Patto

Hume Seelt 09 Ballard Hjelde

Neil Ekwah

Ba Hemir Rusyn
09 can push into midfield hopefully making us more solid, if we had a left back we could put hjelde into the centre where i think he'll look alot better. Based on recent appearances though, seelt has had a mare. We could potentially try pembele at RB and hume either central or in defensive midfield?

The worry is we played a similar formation recently with jobe just awol and ba and rusyn playing 'up front' but both wide with nowt in the middle. Hopefully hemir would give us a presence there and him and rusyn on the pitch together maybe good things could happen. can't believe we've got to this point in the season and they've still never afaik? been on the pitch together for a single second.

Patto

Neil Ekwah

Ba Hemir Rusyn
09 can push into midfield hopefully making us more solid, if we had a left back we could put hjelde into the centre where i think he'll look alot better. Based on recent appearances though, seelt has had a mare. We could potentially try pembele at RB and hume either central or in defensive midfield?

The worry is we played a similar formation recently with jobe just awol and ba and rusyn playing 'up front' but both wide with nowt in the middle. Hopefully hemir would give us a presence there and him and rusyn on the pitch together maybe good things could happen. can't believe we've got to this point in the season and they've still never afaik? been on the pitch together for a single second.

That's what we played for the first 20 minutes against Swansea. And got ripped to pieces.

Patto

Neil Ekwah

Ba Hemir Rusyn

Can definitely see us going 5 at the back for the next 2 games given who they’re against.

That's what we played for the first 20 minutes against Swansea. And got ripped to pieces.
Yep, as i acknowledged. Which is why as i say, i think the players we have are the problem. not that they aren't good enough individually, but that there isn't really a formation that suits the collection we have.

As posted in the 09 thread I’d move him to a holding midfielder role next up. Styles to Left Back. Seelt and Ballard CB’s.

09 holding with Neil and Ekwah both a bit further forward.

Rusyn left. Mundle right.

Hemir another go with more players around him further up.

Not amazing opinions but might help and make us look a bit more solid.

As posted in the 09 thread I’d move him to a holding midfielder role next up. Styles to Left Back. Seelt and Ballard CB’s.

09 holding with Neil and Ekwah both a bit further forward.

Rusyn left. Mundle right.

Hemir another go with more players around him further up.

Not amazing opinions but might help and make us look a bit more solid.
I was up for 09 as a CDM until seeing more of what seelt is like as a CB. i'd really worry with him in a back 4 along with styles at LB.

think i'd sooner just see styles used as the CDM and stick with everyone else where they were.

451 or 541, pointless loading those forward places with 3 up top as the lazy fuckers don’t chase back so midfield will be butchered more than usual
And anything with jobe in the middle needs others with the legs to do the running as he is slow as fuck

Last edited:
The formation isn't the problem. The players being not experienced enough and not having enough quality at this level is the problem.
The formation is def the problem what’s the point in having wingers that can’t cross because they are on their wrong foot but then don’t particularly have a good shot cutting inside , they need to be getting down the line and putting balls across it encourages everyone to get on the box

The formation is def the problem what’s the point in having wingers that can’t cross because they are on their wrong foot but then don’t particularly have a good shot cutting inside , they need to be getting down the line and putting balls across it encourages everyone to get on the box
Been a problem all season playing Roberts and Clarke as inverted wingers.
It’s great if Clarke is cutting in and scoring like he has , but as you say their crossing on the weaker foot, it’s pretty shit so everyone knows they are gonna have to cut in so have them sussed. I’ve no idea why the wingers are never switched during the games for periods to mix it up

Last edited:
No point putting crosses into the box when there's nobody there to get on the end of them. We're risk adverse. No runners busting a gut to get into the box. I can't see us moving away from this trying to play out from the back. Until then it's compact in the middle, backwards and sidewards passing, making it difficult for teams to break us down and hoping we can nick something on the break or from a set piece.

We're not gonna switch to 4-4-2 and start having wingers getting to the byline and whipping the ball in. We don't have enough bite in midfield to allow flair players to shine because Jobe and Ekwah just amble about half arsed with their little passes that go nowhere quickly and result in us giving the ball away too easily.

You will see Dodds experiment tactically with a 3 or 4 at the back but ultimately the players simply aren't good enough.

I'm sure Beale despite being hopelessly out of his depth was decent tactically but the players were not able to implement his instructions. If anything relies on the players not being shit we're gonna struggle. If only we had 2 or 3 lads who have Championship experience like a Batth or a Pritchard or a Gooch. 🙄

Somewhere down tbe line we simply have to put Luke in defensive mid and Neil and Rigg further forward. It will transform our midfield and provide some protection to what will be a makeshift defence but the defenders will be able to concentrate on defending and not bringing the ball out themselves.

No point putting crosses into the box when there's nobody there to get on the end of them. We're risk adverse. No runners busting a gut to get into the box. I can't see us moving away from this trying to play out from the back. Until then it's compact in the middle, backwards and sidewards passing, making it difficult for teams to break us down and hoping we can nick something on the break or from a set piece.

We're not gonna switch to 4-4-2 and start having wingers getting to the byline and whipping the ball in. We don't have enough bite in midfield to allow flair players to shine because Jobe and Ekwah just amble about half arsed with their little passes that go nowhere quickly and result in us giving the ball away too easily.

You will see Dodds experiment tactically with a 3 or 4 at the back but ultimately the players simply aren't good enough.

I'm sure Beale despite being hopelessly out of his depth was decent tactically but the players were not able to implement his instructions. If anything relies on the players not being shit we're gonna struggle. If only we had 2 or 3 lads who have Championship experience like a Batth or a Pritchard or a Gooch. 🙄
Dont have to switch to 442 just keep same formation and swap the wingers sides it’s piss easy for a defender to get back In position and head away an in swinging cross when the winger is constantly checking his run onto his other foot it’s also impossible for people to make runs into the box as you can just play them offside you can’t do that as a defender with ball played in across them for them to run onto or attack all the defence has to do as it stands us keep tight and hold the line the striker can’t run onto the box by the time the winger has got it onto his good foot he’s offside or the defender is up his arse again

Last edited:
Dont have to switch to 443 2 just keep same formation and swap the wingers sides it’s piss easy for a defender to get back I composition and head away an in swinging cross when the winger is constantly checking his run onto his other foot it’s also impossible for people to make runs into the box as you can just play them offside you can’t do that as a defender with ball played in across them fortune to run onto
I hear what you're saying mate but we don't play that way. At all levels we have a way of playing and it's supposed to be drilled into them from a young age. We play out from the back and try and draw teams on to us to create space. The idea itself isn't a bad way of operating and it's much better than lumping it forward for a targetman to flick on or hold up and bring others into play. My point is that the players we have in the starting 11 are not good enough to play the way they're being asked to play. They don't have the quality or experience needed at this level. It will stand us in good stead if we persist with it but who wants to endure pathetic performances now because we might be canny in a few years time? The not deviating from the model or being flexible enough to make adjustments to it will ultimately be our downfall. If you go and replace men with boys who aren't ready you're a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:
I think the thing that would improve us most in the short term would be a set-piece coach who knows his stuff. We have a fair bit of height in the team, but rarely trouble the goal from corners/ free kicks/ (long throws??). But defending these moves, which we KNOW are going to happen, probably 10 times a game, we look vulnerable. A few 1-0 wins where we score from a set-piece and defend like hell won't be pretty, but it's just what this team needs right now.

Back