World War 2 history book thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Evans' trilogy on the Third Reich is fantastic, if a bit heavy.

People continue to recommend William Shirer, but his book hasn't been taken as an accurate depiction of the period by academics for decades. It's a bit like reading Gibbons Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, undoubtedly interesting, but it should be read in the knowledge that it no longer reflects the academic consensus.

Richard Evans' trilogy on the Third Reich is fantastic, if a bit heavy.

People continue to recommend William Shirer, but his book hasn't been taken as an accurate depiction of the period by academics for decades. It's a bit like reading Gibbons Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, undoubtedly interesting, but it should be read in the knowledge that it no longer reflects the academic consensus.
And it's dry as sticks

Here’s a selection from my bookshelf

Target Tirpitz - Patrick Bishop
Lancaster - John Nichol
Churchill’s Wizards -Nicholas Rankin
The Secet War - Max Hastings
Rogue Heroes/ Agent Zigzag/Double Cross- Ben Macintyre
The Secret Listeners - Sinclair McKay
Churchill’s Secret Warriors - Damien Lewis

Can anyone recommend a WW2 film suitable for an 11 year old? My lad loves the history of WW2 and wants to learn more about. Books tend to be bit much for him as they are normally aimed at older kids so I’ve just let him watch Band of Brothers (top dadding). I had to be a bit quick on the fast forward button for some of the more gruesome bits but over all he loved it and wants to watch and learn more. Especially after I told him about some of the exploits of his great grandfather across Europe during WW2.

I’m thinking of asking for a WW11 book as a Xmas present. Factual only, is there a book anyone could recommend that covers the lot or am I better off sticking to one era or area ?
Cancel that I’ll ask for a Max Hastings book as above. Thanks.

Last edited:
I’m thinking of asking for a WW11 book as a Xmas present. Factual only, is there a book anyone could recommend that covers the lot or am I better off sticking to one era or area ?
Cancel that I’ll ask for a Max Hastings book as above. Thanks.

It’s such a broad church that I tend to select bite size chunks ie SOE , Bletchley Park , Battle if Britain, D-Day etc.

Can anyone recommend a WW2 film suitable for an 11 year old? My lad loves the history of WW2 and wants to learn more about. Books tend to be bit much for him as they are normally aimed at older kids so I’ve just let him watch Band of Brothers (top dadding). I had to be a bit quick on the fast forward button for some of the more gruesome bits but over all he loved it and wants to watch and learn more. Especially after I told him about some of the exploits of his great grandfather across Europe during WW2.

Get the World At War box set. I watched it when I was younger than 11 in the 70's.

just pick any of the classics from the 50's for the lack of gore

so Colditz Story, Battle of the River Plate, etc

basically anything with John Mills or Anthony Quayle

;)

bet part about BotRP - HMNZS Achilles, played by...herself

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor
From a review:
This battle for the ruins of a city cost more than a million lives. Stalingrad conveys the experience of soldiers on both sides, fighting in inhuman conditions, and of civilians trapped on an urban battlefield.

The Emperors Codes by Michael Smith is a good read - tells the story of a part of Bletchley Parks work that doesn't get as much publicity as the more well-known Enigma code-breaking.

The Last Battle by Cornelius Ryan - about the final battle for Berlin.

Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back