World Class Athletes at Numerous Sports.

Big Jeff

Winger
I’ll start.

Deion Sanders

NFL STAR - for Atlanta, San Francisco, Dallas, Baltimore, Washington playing both offence and defence!

Also played Major League Baseball AT THE SAME TIME ! for The Yankees, Atlanta, Cincinnati and San Francisco.

He was superb at basketball and an Olympic class sprinter.

He was Neon Deion - or as the world knows him “Prime Time”

Gonna be hard to find any that's been world class at more than 1 sport, especially well known in the UK at least. I'm sure Michael Jordan played pro baseball after retiring from basketball?

Doesn’t really happen anymore because of the need for exclusivity if you are at the top level of your sport but Kyler Murray was selected 1st round of the MLB draft by Oakland and given a 4.7 million signing on fee.

Then joined the NFL draft and was selected 1st overall in that too by the Arizona Cardinals with a 35 million contract

Bo Jackson was legitimately a superb athlete who played both baseball and football (NFL)

Botham played a bit football and was a good cricketer maybe this is purely an American thing.

Rebecca Romero. She won a silver medal in rowing at the 2004 Olympics, retired from rowing due to injury, took up cycling and won gold in the individual pursuit at the 2008 Olympics.

I think it's much more common for this in para sports. Sarah Storey won a bunch of Paralympic swimming medals then switched to cycling and has won a load more. Kadeena Cox has won golds in both para-athletic and para-cycling.

Does Carl Lewis count? He won gold in sprinting and long jumping

Denis Compton played football professionally for Arsenal and Test cricket for England. Think there were quite a few back in the day who crossed over between football and cricket.

Last edited:
Herschel Walker?

NFL player + competed in the Winter Olympics as part of the US bobsleigh team and also fought twice in Strikeforce MMA aged nearly 50 and has a 100% win record?

Gonna be hard to find any that's been world class at more than 1 sport, especially well known in the UK at least. I'm sure Michael Jordan played pro baseball after retiring from basketball?
He only played minor league and really only got to play because he was MJ and a huge commercial draw.
Once his dad was offed and the suspicions around his betting had subsided he returned for another 3-peat
Ian Botham played Cricket and football for Scunthorpe now I wouldn't say his footballing was world class, but his cricketing certainly was.

Last edited:

Depends what you’re willing to accept as different sports.

Any number of cross code rugby players.

A few martial artists who are world class at different disciplines.

But you could argue that they’re too similar to really count.

Back