Woolworths

It won't be the original they have likely bought the name. It will be another bargain type shop like pound stretcher. Actually I thought Woolworths still existed online, like Comet is now online only.

Worked there for 4 Saturdays leading up to Christmas in the early 70s. Had to pass the maths test to get the job - how many pennies in a shilling!

Some of my first fishing gear many years back - happy memories buying floats, hooks etc.
@Jon Dough and @Big Jeff

To this day remember catching 2 Perch and 2 Skimmer Bream on a Zoomer float from Woolies. That was the real moment I fell in love with fishing.
A big step up from Bleak, Gudgeon and Ruffe following on from a minnow trap.
My yoof was all sea fishing.

But my first fishing experience was when my dad took me fishing with a split cane fly rod to Derwent Reservoir- our bait - a cod head. We were politely told to eff off.

Ended up on Roker pier with about 6 hooks stuck in the cod’s heed, we had tactically dumped the rod and my dad decided we only needed a hand line.

You will be astonished to know we caught nowt.

I was hooked!

@beverly macca

My yoof was all sea fishing.

But my first fishing experience was when my dad took me fishing with a split cane fly rod to Derwent Reservoir- our bait - a cod head. We were politely told to eff off.

Ended up on Roker pier with about 6 hooks stuck in the cod’s heed, we had tactically dumped the rod and my dad decided we only needed a hand line.

You will be astonished to know we caught nowt.

I was hooked!

@beverly macca

Happy Days Mate and never forgotten.
We used to tie the rods to the bike frame and cycle 7 miles to fish the Thames at Sutton Courtenay. Still go back now, feels kind of spiritual.
catching a few Roach etc was great.

I still have a copy of the Mr Crabtree book in the loft. I was addicted reading it and always have me hope as a eager kid.đź‘Ť

Happy Days Mate and never forgotten.
We used to tie the rods to the bike frame and cycle 7 miles to fish the Thames at Sutton Courtenay. Still go back now, feels kind of spiritual.
catching a few Roach etc was great.

I still have a copy of the Mr Crabtree book in the loft. I was addicted reading it and always have me hope as an eager kid.đź‘Ť
I learnt everything off me mates. I remember a great day with a big squad of us - got the bus to South Shields and fished the pier for mackerel.

We caught loads and had a team going - 6 lads fishing, 2 lads filleting and one mouthy git selling them to make a few quid.

I will leave it to you to guess who was the gob on a stick who made all the money!

No one was complaining as we all went to the Marine Park in South Shields and got blootered on cans we got this bloke to buy for us from our profits.

Fish Mania!

Back