Women's football on BBC Red Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman maroni

Central Defender
Arsenal going for the title, hardly anyone there and the quality of play is surprisingly bad considering how the media tell us otherwise

Does my head in how people go on about equality issues. They aren’t paid as much simply because it’s a lower quality of football and the interest is nowhere near the same.
I don't think the interest will ever be there, no matter how hard it's pushed by the media, most women I know that watch football prefer the mens game anyway.

The standard of domestic football is poor because there hasn't been any real investment in it until now.

Chelsea got £10,000 for winning the league but Barclays are now putting in some serious money.

The improvement in international football has been pretty dramatic over the last few years mainly because it's funded by the federations.

There's no reason to think that domestic football won't improve with similar support.

The standard of domestic football is poor because there hasn't been any real investment in it until now.

Chelsea got £10,000 for winning the league but Barclays are now putting in some serious money.

The improvement in international football has been pretty dramatic over the last few years mainly because it's funded by the federations.

There's no reason to think that domestic football won't improve with similar support.

The standard of women’s football can be watched for free on any Sunday league park through the country, and it will be more physical and entertaining, women’s football will never be popular enough for any serious funding

The standard of women’s football can be watched for free on any Sunday league park through the country, and it will be more physical and entertaining, women’s football will never be popular enough for any serious funding

The interest is there for the bigger games.

Over 60,000 turned up to watch Atletco Madrid v Barcelona recently.

39,000 attended Juventus v Fiorentina.

A record number of tickets have already been sold for this summer's World Cup in France.

Last edited:
Does my head in how people go on about equality issues. They aren’t paid as much simply because it’s a lower quality of football and the interest is nowhere near the same.
The standard of football is much worse because not as much is spent on training and sports science. If there was the same amount of money in the game then it would still be a different game, as ladies tennis is different to mens football, but the level of skill would be much better.

It's already much better now than a few years ago and the level of funding is still pretty light.

While that is certainly tru, saying that the game could never be played at a high level by girls is incorrect.

Last edited:

A record number of tickets have already been sold for this summer's World Cup in France.

That’s great news for the women’s game, but I will never ever get to a level in the uk that will interest men, I would love to know the percent of women attending a safc match to women? I would guess men make up the vast majority, if the women’s game can get the attendances men’s games get on a regular basis, say over 20 year I will show my ass off in binns window

They should play on smaller pitches with smaller goals, would improve the technical quality of the game no end.

They should play on smaller pitches with smaller goals, would improve the technical quality of the game no end.

That's really not a bad idea. But it would mean pitches/stadiums being built especially for the women's game which I cannot see happening with the money in the women's game.

That’s great news for the women’s game, but I will never ever get to a level in the uk that will interest men, I would love to know the percent of women attending a safc match to women? I would guess men make up the vast majority, if the women’s game can get the attendances men’s games get on a regular basis, say over 20 year I will show my ass off in binns window

We may as well scrap non-league men's football then if attendances are the main criteria.

That's really not a bad idea. But it would mean pitches/stadiums being built especially for the women's game which I cannot see happening with the money in the women's game.

It's a shite idea.

Last edited:
It’s absolutely awful to watch and just doesn’t seem natural.
I might surprise a few on here with that view but there you go .

Free tickets for the Juventus match and free for Atletico club member with it being €5 for general public. Until they charge decent amount it means very little.

Atletico-Barca women set world crowd record

Record crowd of 39,000 watch Juventus women defeat Fiorentina - CNN

Free tickets for the Juventus match and free for Atletico club member with it being €5 for general public. Until they charge decent amount it means very little.

Atletico-Barca women set world crowd record

Record crowd of 39,000 watch Juventus women defeat Fiorentina - CNN

But if there was no interest in it, no one would have turned up.

27,000 tickets were sold at 5 - 25 euros to non-members for the Atletico/Barcelona game.

Tickets aren't free at the World Cup either and they've sold over 720,000 so far.

Nothing wrong with the players ability but the lack of funding and sponsorship has been instrumental in keeping the women's game down and attracting high quality talent. They need massive support from the FA if they want to make it attractive to a population spoon fed the mens game and they won't get that, so now its level is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back