Wiring Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajryan86

Full Back
I'm struggling to wire a ceiling rose in my hall. There are 4 cables which I have tried to wire back into a different fitting (the clear plastic one in the picture.) There was no brown tape to the live switch wire. I have tried various combinations but I either get one or the other light in the hall constantly on and the switches do not affect the lights. Hopefully the pictures below should help.

Thanks View media item 4456

View media item 4454

Cant view pics, but if a hallway could be a two way switch which would mean a 4 core for one of the cables or the switch wire cable might have two red cores. You need a spark, or you could disconnect them all, turn juice on and see which ones are live with meter and work it out.

It can be found without a multimeter but you need a voltage indicator instead. If you’re not confident around live wires then I wouldn’t recommend it anyway

I'm struggling to wire a ceiling rose in my hall. There are 4 cables which I have tried to wire back into a different fitting (the clear plastic one in the picture.) There was no brown tape to the live switch wire. I have tried various combinations but I either get one or the other light in the hall constantly on and the switches do not affect the lights. Hopefully the pictures below should help.

Thanks View media item 4456

View media item 4454
Cant view pics but as said sounds like you have lost the switch wire. Once you find it the brown or red on the switch wire connects in with the other browns or reds and the black or blue on the switch wire then becomes your switched live to the light fitting. Black or blue and red or brown are the new colours.

It can be found without a multimeter but you need a voltage indicator instead. If you’re not confident around live wires then I wouldn’t recommend it anyway
I've found the switch wire followed the video. But one light now works off the switch but one is constant on.

Cant view pics but as said sounds like you have lost the switch wire. Once you find it the brown or red on the switch wire connects in with the other browns or reds and the black or blue on the switch wire then becomes your switched live to the light fitting. Black or blue and red or brown are the new colours.

I've found the switch wire. And rewired and it works off the switch. However the second light in the hall is constant on... however this has just a straightforward one wire coming down into it.

I've found the switch wire followed the video. But one light now works off the switch but one is constant on.

I've found the switch wire. And rewired and it works off the switch. However the second light in the hall is constant on... however this has just a straightforward one wire coming down into it.

Can I just be the first to wish you RIP ?

Light 2 is meant to be fed from the switched live, not the permanent live. You can find out which live it is by powering down and disconnect one live. Power back up and see if #2 has gone off. If it has that’s the one to put in with the switched live

Ok. So the second light in the hall needs to be connected to the switched live on the switch wire. You have connected it to the permanent lives hence it is staying on. I was wondering why you had 4 twin and earths at a ceiling rose. Usualy there should only be 3. Loop feed in and out and a switch wire. The other hall light has been tapped off the rose you are working on. So one cable from your rose goes directly to the other hall light. Find that cable and take the live out the bunch and connect it to the switch wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back