Will Still (managerial suggestion)

They finished 5th in 19/20, 8th the year before. David Guion took them from 7th in the second division to 5th in Ligue 1 over 4 years never finishing lower than 8th. Still has taken Reims from 11th to 8th. Statistically Guion did a much better job than Still has (so far), but I don't see any Premier League teams after him.

Don't get me wrong, Still may turn out to be a great manager (hopefully for us) but his stats don't match the hype at the minute.

I was replying to someone who indicated a Premier League team may take him. He's not at that level yet. Our level, sure why not.
Tbf the 5th place finish will have an asterisk next to it as it was covid year and season finished at 28 games, so maybe why most articles etc would say oncourse for potentially their best seasons finish in decades

Only won 2 out of the last 10 league games, and both of those against teams fighting relegation. Looks like he has been found out a bit (as has Farioli). Can't see a Premier League team taking a risk on him at the minute.
All clubs go through good and bad form, it doesn't mean the head coach has been "found out". We need to get away from just looking at a relatively small number of results and judging the head coach on them.

He's getting £40k a week to do nothing until next summer and has the option of waiting for a Premier League job in the summer.

How much would you suggest we pay him?

He has a good record at Championship level but Forest sacked him after 2 seasons of struggling despite over spending. I don’t see many teams outside the bottom 3 being interested in him and they’ll be on the Championship anyway.

He's getting £40k a week to do nothing until next summer and has the option of waiting for a Premier League job in the summer.

How much would you suggest we pay him?
This is it, he might get a team next season that get relegated this season. For example Burnley would be a good job for him and fit his philosophy, or even Leicester if their manager walks because of any financial fair play problems

You mean people on an opinion message board think Will Still is the first choice of the owners to come to Sunderland.

This opinion thing will never catch on…
No I think people coming to the conclusion that Will Still being seen at a Chelsea game is somehow linked to him coming here is a bit far fetched.

Opinions are absolutely fine with me and are equally valid

Only won 2 out of the last 10 league games, and both of those against teams fighting relegation. Looks like he has been found out a bit (as has Farioli). Can't see a Premier League team taking a risk on him at the minute.

It could because he has told the players he is offski in the summer and the players feel they no longer need to impress him knowing he won’t be there.

Back