will monty play in any of the summer tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stephen cartwright

personally i would like to see him against the west indies. lyon and beer have just bowled the windies out and i think swann and monty would do exactly the same.

also with the DRS system, i feel the spinners have a definite advantage these days over lbws

what do you reckon?

The West Indies pitches have turned a bit though, I doubt English pitches will do that a great deal. Can't see him playing unless Swann gets injured. After all, it sometimes doesn't turn here until Day 3/4 which means carrying him for 3/4 days. Atleast with Swann he can hold a bat and he fields in the slips.

The West Indies pitches have turned a bit though, I doubt English pitches will do that a great deal. Can't see him playing unless Swann gets injured. After all, it sometimes doesn't turn here until Day 3/4 which means carrying him for 3/4 days. Atleast with Swann he can hold a bat and he fields in the slips.

I think we've seen recently, particularly with DRS, that the pitch doesn't have to be turning for spinners to be effective. The key is consistency and putting the ball in the right places to put the batsmen under pressure, this is Monty's strength.

Since Colly retired, there's been a constant debate about who should be at 6 and 7, now that Monty's had a chance and played very well, it's a gamble worth taking. Put Bresnan at 7, Broad, Swann, Anderson and Monty and we'll have a versatile bowling line up with some decent batting down to 9.

I think we've seen recently, particularly with DRS, that the pitch doesn't have to be turning for spinners to be effective. The key is consistency and putting the ball in the right places to put the batsmen under pressure, this is Monty's strength.

Since Colly retired, there's been a constant debate about who should be at 6 and 7, now that Monty's had a chance and played very well, it's a gamble worth taking. Put Bresnan at 7, Broad, Swann, Anderson and Monty and we'll have a versatile bowling line up with some decent batting down to 9.

Stokes will be the answer to the Monty conundrum in due course as could be the third seamer batting at 6 with Prior a 7

Stokes will be the answer to the Monty conundrum in due course as could be the third seamer batting at 6 with Prior a 7

It's a pity he's not a spinner as we've got an abundance of seamers at the moment with Anderson and Broad certs in the side, with Finn and Bresnan good choices as the 3rd one. The problem comes when we try and get Finn into the line up if Monty's is as well, because we effectively end up with 3 number 11s.

I think we've got to try and find a system that works to accommodate Finn after the work he's put in in the last year to become an out and out quick. I just see 2 spinners as being a good move tactically with the increased number of wickets they're starting to pick up since umpires have become more confident in the use of DRS.

Yeah but Monty won't be bowling at England's batsmen :lol::roll:

will monty play in any of the summer tests?

Clearly not - unless Swann is injured. They didn't even pick him for the last Test in Sri Lanka, when the pitch may have suited him, highly unlikely they will pick him over Swann in this country!! :)

Clearly not - unless Swann is injured. They didn't even pick him for the last Test in Sri Lanka, when the pitch may have suited him, highly unlikely they will pick him over Swann in this country!! :)

They were more worried about the batting line up, and I don't think Patel impressed too much, don't think we'll see him in tests for a while, if at all.

Stokes is the best batting all rounder for the number 7 spot
Bresnan is the best bowling all rounder at 7.

Would think Stokes would have a chance of a debut, if we already wrap up the series in the first 2 tests.

They were more worried about the batting line up, and I don't think Patel impressed too much, don't think we'll see him in tests for a while, if at all.

Yes, of course you are correct - but for that exact same reason they won't play Panesar here against the Windies, or against anyone else for that matter - UNLESS Swann is injured or loses form big style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back