Wide angle photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ship

Midfield
Anyone on here with a canon digital slr? I own a 60d with the standard 18-55 lens and would like to get more into wide-angle landscape photography. I was talking to a fella recently who was telling me that my wide-angle zoom isn't really a true reflection of an 18mm lens. He then went on to tell me about the 5d he owns captures the image differently. So my 18-55mm is actually an equivalent to 28-65mm (approx). Whereas his 18mm is just what it says on the tin.

I have no reason to doubt this as, in the days of film, I used to have a Nikon f3 with a fixed focal length 20mm lens my field of view was a hell of a lot wider than this current canon lens.

So, if anyone is using a canon in the 2digit d family have you come across a decent wide angle. I don't really have mega bucks to spend so if the canon lens is crazy cash, is there a good alternative?

Thanks.

60d has a smaller sensor than the 5d

5d is more than 2.5 times bigger. This explains the difference. It's capturing more of the image circle from the same lens

You can get a wider lens but I should imagine this will increase distortion a lot compared to 18mm on a 5d

With the crop factor of 1.6 your 18mm is more like a 28mm. for wide angle you need something like the canon 10-22, sigma 10-20, tamron 10-20 or tokina 11-16. You will need to spend around £250 upwards for any of those second hand. I have the Sigma and a canon 15mm- 85mm which is like a 24mm-130mm wide angle to telephoto on a full frame.
I have a 7d and used the same lenses on my 60d before that

The 18-55mm is an EF-S lens isn't it? Meaning the crop factor won't occur.

18mm with that lens should be the same as an 18mm EF lens on a full frame

I was aware it occurs at all focal lengths to some extent? You're essentially focusing the light onto a larger surface area aren't you?

An 18mm EF-S has the same field of view as 18mm EF on an APS-C camera, both are 'cropped'.

An EF-S lens is simply 'optimised' for APS-C, which means the image circle is too small for full format, but the lens can be smaller and cheaper to make.

An 18mm EF-S has the same field of view as 18mm EF on an APS-C camera, both are 'cropped'.

An EF-S lens is simply 'optimised' for APS-C, which means the image circle is too small for full format, but the lens can be smaller and cheaper to make.
Ah got ya

Doesn't work like that, the EF-S lenses are still actually scaled. The information given to the OP was correct. For a 20mm equivalent, you need something around 12mm on that sensor.

Have you considered stitching images for landscapes. It's really not that difficult with the software available these days and digital images (eg hugin which is free open source software). Won't cost you anything to try.

Doesn't work like that, the EF-S lenses are still actually scaled. The information given to the OP was correct. For a 20mm equivalent, you need something around 12mm on that sensor.

Have you considered stitching images for landscapes. It's really not that difficult with the software available these days and digital images (eg hugin which is free open source software). Won't cost you anything to try.

:lol: Aaaargh!

Thanks for trying to enlighten me. Let me see if I've gotchas right. With the aperture of the lens being circular, it captures and focuses the image onto the rectangular shaped sensor (this in itself creates a problem). So the size of the circular image produced has to be larger than the the rectangle of the sensor otherwise it won't fill the corners and these will show as blank on the sensor? I take it this is the crop factor? How am I doing?

Thus the wider lenses can be used on the larger sensors of the 5d but surely still have to fill the sensor's corners?

But a 18mm EF-S on a crop and 18mm EF on a full should have the same perspective right, just one is more cropped?

Yes, that is correct - its the size of the sensor which is really making the difference. Bad choice of word from me. But the image you see will be 'cropped' on the 60D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back