WMS Why Sunderland AFC’s model lacks evidence to prove it can succeed

If that’s the case the golden touch has certainly deserted them. Recent freebies ….Dack. Recent loans Burstow ….

At the time we signed them Batth and Pritchard were seen as a coup for a league 1 club, the equivalent signings now would be premier league players coming down to the championship. We took Styles from League 1.

It all seems to be doing things on the cheap and adds to the suspicion that I’ve seen voiced on here that KLD has lost interest.
Nobody is gonna argue that Dack or Burstow were good signings. I don't think that is equivalent either with the PL players dropping down, that wage difference is many times multiple what Championship to L1 is.

To me it's all about how the Clarke money is spent, we can still buy young, but they can't be Hemir, Mayenda, Seelt type young where they are all promise with no proven. There has to be a 22 year old forward somewhere in the world who is quick, strong, scoring goals and playing for less money than we could pay him.

Nobody is gonna argue that Dack or Burstow were good signings. I don't think that is equivalent either with the PL players dropping down, that wage difference is many times multiple what Championship to L1 is.

To me it's all about how the Clarke money is spent, we can still buy young, but they can't be Hemir, Mayenda, Seelt type young where they are all promise with no proven. There has to be a 22 year old forward somewhere in the world who is quick, strong, scoring goals and playing for less money than we could pay him.
Aye we’ll see. You’ve obviously got more faith in them than me.

Tbh, for this model to even remotely work, the calibre of youth would have to be way better than what we have, and that would require bigger transfer and sell on fees to try and prize some of the best young prospects away from their parent clubs.

Yes, one or two will slip through the net, but ultimately, clubs know their players worth and if they have a gem on their hands, they'll want to keep them.

Once you take out Clarke, and one or two others, there's little value in our squad when you think most deals will have been done with a likely sell on percentage of any future transfer fee and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Last edited:
The irony is I think the majority are behind having a model, and having a team of young players we can all get behind is great. However when they double or triple down on the "model" and simply ignore all the evidence from thousands of fans and the last two head coaches that the model needs just the slightest of tweaks it's gonna end up completely failing just because they think they know better. It's f***ing stupidity, I always find people who stick with their beliefs despite overwhelming evidence against them always fail in the end. The biggest man in the room always admits his failings and is open to change.

In L1 you want cheap young fast squad that develops into a Championship squad that’s been proven getting out of the Championship requires more money spent on quality Championship players that develop into a PL star or buy a veteran PL player with 2/3 years left to be honest it’s a combination of young stars and veterans that makes up a strong championship squad…Sunderland lacks spending the money if your honest

Last edited:

Back