WMS Why Sunderland AFC’s model lacks evidence to prove it can succeed

RTG

Robot
Staff member
The debate goes like this – Sunderland AFC’s Sporting Director helped the club rise from League One. We are where we are because of him. Or, if you prefer the alternative narrative – he is responsible for assembling an unbalanced and deficient squad incapable of promotion to the Premier League. That particular discourse, in which […]

The post Why Sunderland AFC’s model lacks evidence to prove it can succeed appeared first on Wise Men Say - Sunderland AFC Podcast.

more at Wise Men Say...

Chelsea are showing its huge limitations at a far higher and expensive level.
You can’t merely buy a full squad players because of their age and data showing they “might” reach the level you require.
We need to have a model, we do. We need to look at model and say that is failing, that needs altering and if we add this to it that could make all the difference. My fear is this smug burk is goin to double if not treble down on this track that looks to me like it’s destined to fail. We need a leader on the pitch, we need one in the dugout and we need experience down the spine of the team. It’s been a poor season of recruitment, the next window is make or break - gets it wrong and it’s going to be spectacularly bad

It is of course correct and what many pundits, ex head coaches and fans have been saying in ever increasing numbers.

This particular drum needs to beat louder and louder until they accept that just putting their collective heads in the sand and hoping it’ll come right if you throw enough foreign teenagers at it, is just utter madness.

We were 2 performances from doing it last season though. I think you could reasonably argue if we got 1 less injury in defence we could have gone up.
We had a lot more experience in the squad last season and a coach who knew how to get the best out of the players he had available to him.Roll on 12 months however.

We were 2 performances from doing it last season though. I think you could reasonably argue if we got 1 less injury in defence we could have gone up.
We were but a massive part of last seasons success was Batth, Gooch, Pritchard, Stewart, Simms and of course Amad.

It’s certainly forgivable not replacing Amad with similar quality but the others have either been deliberately cast aside, or in the case of Stewart and Simms inadequately replaced by cheaper players that frankly are nowhere near capable of performing at the level we’re playing at.

As the article points out it seems like we’re attempting the impossible with our recruitment model ….unless the real aim is just developing individual players

I’m not saying all three models are similar or the same but if you look at the more data driven approaches by Brentford and Brighton, they’ve complimented their respective approaches with players like Ben Mee, Adam Lallana, Danny Welbeck, James Milner and Mark Flekken, all more senior players than many of their signings. I think this is where we’ve gone wrong over this past year to eighteen months. Experienced players like Bailey Wright, Alex Pritchard and Danny Batth moving on has been an issue and I dare say that had we three or four senior players in the squad, we’d be doing slightly better and there wouldn’t be such a reliance on young lads to score. I think if we had some experience for players like Rusyn, there would be less pressure on these boys and they’d have some more time to settle in.

I’m a fan of the premise behind the model but I think the way it’s been implicated could have been better and we could have phased it in around senior players.

We were but a massive part of last seasons success was Batth, Gooch, Pritchard, Stewart, Simms and of course Amad.

It’s certainly forgivable not replacing Amad with similar quality but the others have either been deliberately cast aside, or in the case of Stewart and Simms inadequately replaced by cheaper players that frankly are nowhere near capable of performing at the level we’re playing at.

As the article points out it seems like we’re attempting the impossible with our recruitment model ….unless the real aim is just developing individual players
But all of them players were signed using the same model we still have. Batth and Pritchard were older freebies, Gooch was from the academy, Stewart was a player who we signed as a forward when he was playing wide for Ross County and Simms and Amad were on loan.

It's just that Dack, Burstow, Styles, Rusyn haven't worked out for us the way some of those did. Maybe there is still time for Rusyn and let's be honest Styles, since we'll probably sign him.

I wonder if the model isn't just kids, but also every season get a seasoned pro that can be released at the end of the season, Like with Bath. Unfortunately this season's seasoned pro is Dack.

But all of them players were signed using the same model we still have. Batth and Pritchard were older freebies, Gooch was from the academy, Stewart was a player who we signed as a forward when he was playing wide for Ross County and Simms and Amad were on loan.

It's just that Dack, Burstow, Styles, Rusyn haven't worked out for us the way some of those did. Maybe there is still time for Rusyn and let's be honest Styles, since we'll probably sign him.
If that’s the case the golden touch has certainly deserted them. Recent freebies ….Dack. Recent loans Burstow ….

At the time we signed them Batth and Pritchard were seen as a coup for a league 1 club, the equivalent signings now would be premier league players coming down to the championship. We took Styles from League 1.

It all seems to be doing things on the cheap and adds to the suspicion that I’ve seen voiced on here that KLD has lost interest.

I see my shadow, hongkongcoward, is stalking my comments again. Being a coward he doesn't dare to actually comment directly to me. Never mind, you can go running posting that I'm victimising you again 🤡🤡🤡

Back