Why is West Cornforth known locally as.....

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date

It's not. It's just Doggy. Called that either due to railway related stuff (parts for the tracks were made there from dog iron) or possibly due to fire places that were made there from dog iron too.
That's what I heard. The fixings that nailed the track in place were locally called doggys for that reason.

The Slake Garage does very good work btw. Went to him for a second opinion once and he saved me a cool grand.

Last edited:
I've been asking people for years and got no answer. I asked an 80 odd year old fella in Coxhoe the other week and he didn't known for certain but said the pit was known as doggy pit.
The full title for the pit was Thrislington Colliery, only one Coxhoe on the planet.What you deeing owa there like? People fom Doggy all had a ring round their arse from shitting in a bucket or was that Kella?

never heard it called west doggy you whopper

no idea why its called doggy

but its rough as fuck.....proper backwater village where they fuck each other n that

Definitely due to the linkages they used to make there for railway tracks.

I worked at Black & Decker in Spenny and we had a night out in Doggy. Can't remember the pub but a fella came round with raffle tickets to win a 'hoss'. I thought this was some local term for something else, but he said 'nah marra, a hoss. It's in the bar if you wanna have a look orrit'.

I nearly hit the borrum

Whilst I'm not from there I've spent many a time in the local pubs. My first Sunday league team was West Cornforth Social club - it closed down after a couple of years. Loads of good lads from there and many MLF's. Some hawker/gypsy/Tyson Fury type families have become more prominent in recent years and it's not made it a better place to spend time.

That's what I heard. The fixings that nailed the track in place were locally called doggys for that reason.

The Slake Garage does very good work btw. Went to him for a second opinion once and he saved me a cool grand.

My pal owns that place. He's a good bloke.

Because the fellas used to tell their wives "I am going to walk the dog" but nip to the pub! So my mother in law used to say and agreed by father in law.

Because the fellas used to tell their wives "I am going to walk the dog" but nip to the pub! So my mother in law used to say and agreed by father in law.
No, a lot of people used to say “ going to see a man about a dog”. Interesting to know where the term originates. I know Frank Skinners dads from there but never been in my life, need to ride thro there some day.

West Cornforth is a village in County Durham, in England. It is situated to the south of Cornforth, near the A1(M) motorway, Ferryhill and Spennymoor. It is known locally as “Doggie” though the etymology of this name is uncertain. It may however, relate to the fact that dog irons were made there at one time.
Correct dog irons
Meet me in the car park just off Bridge Road at half ten tonight marra. Flash your lights three times when you get there and I'll show you why.
Is that a lindesfarne song

Certainly one of the rougher villages back in the day, There is a nice part of it though, a village green, that used to have a really good pub on it.

Was he red and white or black and white? I remember Frank Skinner once saying his dad was from the NE and was a massive football fan but he never said who he supported. I don't know whether I like Frank Skinner or not until I find out who his dad supported.
Spennymoor fan

Was infamous in my younger days. Mainly cos I was seeing and then married to a lass from a neighbouring village

She worked in the local pub for a while and the "doggy lads" coming over to fight the lads from said village and the pub getting smashed up was relatively frequent

No idea what it's like now

Back