Why do strikers blast the ball sky high over the bar or wide?

As soon as i read this Gary Owers came straight into my thoughts. Lack of composure most of the time i would have thought.

Bit like asking about an athlete 'why don't they just run faster?' if they aren't on the podium, or asking 'why don't they just hit the middle of the fairway?' when a professional golfer hits the rough.

Why does anyone make a mistake?

Far too many variables to answer the question. Lack composure at the time of said shot, lack of options, under pressure from opponents, frustration settling in, distraction, wrong purchase of the ball, new boots, match fixing.

Last edited:
It’s most often because of the speed the game moves at, professional players often don’t get time to think or react because the ball is moving so quickly or they’re being closed down. We often miss it when watching but if you want a game filmed on a player body cam is mental.

I thought of Jeff Whitley. I remember away to Crewe when he lumped it out of the ground ! You could hear it hitting cars 😂 he was playing shocking at the time and my mate turned and said ‘I’d make that fucker go and fetch that’

Why does anyone make a mistake?

Far too many variables to answer the question. Lack composure at the time of said shot, lack of options, under pressure from opponents, frustration settling in, distraction, wrong purchase of the ball, new boots, match fixing.
F#ck me, they make players buy the balls now?

Back