Who was your "hero" growing up?

Madonna -loved how she didn't give a shit what people thought and she was pretty cool to a teenage girl in the 80s.
Steffi Graff and Steve cram- young kids coming through to be great in sports/events I enjoyed.
Now, no heroes, but I admire people like eilish mcloghlan, who aren't necessarily the best but who work really hard, do really well in their sport and give back a lot.

Not sure where to put this really and not Sunderland related but Todd was my boyhood hero along with McFarland At Derby. This has just been posted up on our club site and thought you might find it interesting. Quality footballer and a great person....and yeah, you shouldn't have sold him ;)

Todd Derby
We the supporters had no choice in the matter, sadly.

Not sure where to put this really and not Sunderland related but Todd was my boyhood hero along with McFarland At Derby. This has just been posted up on our club site and thought you might find it interesting. Quality footballer and a great person....and yeah, you shouldn't have sold him ;)

Todd Derby
RM was a magnificent footballer too.
Some great players in that Derby side. Used to get taken to the Baseball ground a lot as a bairn. We lived not far, in Dairy House Rd.

Todd Derby

Thanks for that. A great bit of business by Clough but I wonder how things would have played out had he stayed with us, perhaps we would not have won the cup in 73.
I spoke with Colin about 20 years ago after a talk in and found him a bit cold and disinterested which deflated my regard for him a bit. Perhaps understandable when he had his success at other clubs.
More recently I have read that he spends time at Seaburn, the beach front at Sunderland where some of our fans have enjoyed a bit crack with him so maybe he has mellowed a bit.

Back