Who has been our worst loan signing?

I cant always remember who was on loan or not but Im positive Alvarez was, and a complete financial nightmare, but seems I've told my mates from first game i watched Burstow that he is the worst player I've ever seen , then has to be him.

I came on to list 3 afore mentioned camp de bock and vokins however for the life of me I can't remember anything at all about declan John, also we had a Scottish winger on loan from Everton oneil era did absolutely nowt for us scored a world for Scotland at France iirc????
James McFadden? Think we signed him permanently rather than on loan?

Bit before my time but obviously aware of his talents (or lack there of). I take it he's not just a result of football/fullbacks becoming more attacking over the years and he was just crap at everything?
Yes, mate he was rubbish. Couldn't run or pass, he did have some fleeting moments, I recall he marked Zola out at RP in the Prem... I mean they still walloped us but I seem to remember he had a decent game there. He was ultimately f***ing dreadful though, and a means to an end for Reidy to not play Darius. Plenty folk on here will tell you about that shit show. Reid was a stubborn fucker as much as he was our best manger in the last 30 odd years. His stubbornness was his downfall and Hall is a great example of that. He had no intention of keeping Hall, as soon as Makin came in Hall was gone because even Reid knew he was shit. He just didn't like Darius. f***ing crackers.

See if I can tag some in the know for you to confirm and give a bit insight @hank williams @Hongkongphooey @Georgewhitt @Morse some of these lads will confirm this, or tell me to naff off for tagging them :lol:

Last edited:
Kevin Cooper, Simon Johnson

Strange one about Cooper is he played one game then his loan got extended 😂
That was weird that. Had about one sub appearance in a month and then it was extended.

Apparently though Simon Johnson who was here from Leeds and had a few short sub appearances where he looked bang average to poor and McCarthy wanted to sign permanently.

There was also the Colin Cooper loan when he was about 37. Signed Apparently as cover and on his part because he'd been a SAFC fan and wanted to make an appearance for us.
James McFadden? Think we signed him permanently rather than on loan?
Didn't he come here on a month or so to prove fitness, the signed a three month or six month deal?

When did loaning players become a thing ?

Seem to remember we had a lad on loan (could be wrong 76-77 Colin Waldron ?)

Jimmy Nichol early eighties, Mark Proctor for a month late on in 1982/83 but not much more at that time, loans around then tended to be just for 1 month.

That was weird that. Had about one sub appearance in a month and then it was extended.

Apparently though Simon Johnson who was here from Leeds and had a few short sub appearances where he looked bang average to poor and McCarthy wanted to sign permanently.

There was also the Colin Cooper loan when he was about 37. Signed Apparently as cover and on his part because he'd been a SAFC fan and wanted to make an appearance for us.

Didn't he come here on a month or so to prove fitness, the signed a three month or six month deal?
Maybe. I can't remember the detail to be honest. Same as I can't remember any of his contributions on the pitch!

Back