Whisky

I know loads on here don't like The Scotch, but are there any whisky lovers out there?

I'm partial to Ardbeg, but have a taste for most of it to be fair.

What's your New Year dram of choice?

Ardbeg probably my favourite core malt....
Mainly like Islay stuff but there are some other belters out there ( Springbank, Kilkerran, Glen Scotia, Glengoyne etc)

dry January so not able to enjoy my expanding stash for a while yet.

A few of us off to Islay in May..about to book trips to Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphraoig and Bunnahabhai.

Can’t wait

Went to Edinburgh for the Christmas market and went for a meal with whisky pairings on one of the nights. I'm not a whisky drinker and really wanted to enjoy it but was struggling by the 3rd one. Like a whisky sour or old fashioned but can't get away with it neat. Was the same with wine but developed a taste for it, hoping the same happens with whisky.

Went to Edinburgh for the Christmas market and went for a meal with whisky pairings on one of the nights. I'm not a whisky drinker and really wanted to enjoy it but was struggling by the 3rd one. Like a whisky sour or old fashioned but can't get away with it neat. Was the same with wine but developed a taste for it, hoping the same happens with whisky.

Never had a single malt till last year, it's about taking your time, allowing it to swill around the mouth before swallowing otherwise you just get the alcohol.
It's like anything else drink wise, you're going to get ones that are not for you, I've not had many but have quite liked some of them and not been keen on others.

Maybes I'll have a few more this year.

Never had a single malt till last year, it's about taking your time, allowing it to swill around the mouth before swallowing otherwise you just get the alcohol.
It's like anything else drink wise, you're going to get ones that are not for you, I've not had many but have quite liked some of them and not been keen on others.

We had five with food and could taste the difference in them all. really enjoyed the experience and the explanation of what we were drinking and why it was chosen but struggled with the harshness of them by the 3rd, I've got a really sweet tooth which probably exaggerates it but not giving up on them yet.

We had five with food and could taste the difference in them all. really enjoyed the experience and the explanation of what we were drinking and why it was chosen but struggled with the harshness of them by the 3rd, I've got a really sweet tooth which probably exaggerates it but not giving up on them yet.

Three is enough for me, had a fair few pints and just fancied something different when out a month or so before Christmas, had three, five would be too many as I just took my time with the ones I had anyway, one of them tasted what I'd imagine Zoflora to taste like.
No idea what it was mind.
I got me dad a bottle of Macallan 12 year old double cask off a mate and gave it to him for his birthday, he went from Famous Grouse to single malts in a flash, I had some a few weeks later from another bottle my mate opened and thought it was fine,
I'd dodged whisky from my teenage years.

They're perfect when you've just had too much volume drinking pints.

We did a 25 year bottle of Highland Park on Christmas Day and it was bloody lovely.

Had a couple of glasses Yamazaki (Sainsburys has it) NYE and that was probably even better.

Oooft, 25 year old Highland Park is out of my league. Well played, would love to have tried it.

Agreed, that's the trick. Helps you to get the flavours without any 'burn'

joemcdokes is right. Also, try the first sip around the tongue and then add a drop (literally a teardop or 2) of water before the next sip. Depending on the whisky/age/and strength, it makes quite a difference to some of them.

Last edited:
Three is enough for me, had a fair few pints and just fancied something different when out a month or so before Christmas, had three, five would be too many as I just took my time with the ones I had anyway, one of them tasted what I'd imagine Zoflora to taste like.
No idea what it was mind.
I got me dad a bottle of Macallan 12 year old double cask off a mate and gave it to him for his birthday, he went from Famous Grouse to single malts in a flash, I had some a few weeks later from another bottle my mate opened and thought it was fine,
I'd dodged whisky from my teenage years.

They're perfect when you've just had too much volume drinking pints.
We bought a cheap single malt for cocktails thinking by the time the other ingredients go in it'll not make much difference what whisky you use but it was awful even full of lemon and sugar syrup it had a medicinal type taste, definitely get what you pay for.

We bought a cheap single malt for cocktails thinking by the time the other ingredients go in it'll not make much difference what whisky you use but it was awful even full of lemon and sugar syrup it had a medicinal type taste, definitely get what you pay for.

Try a Rusty Nail. 2/3rds any blend plus 1/3rd Drambuie. Lovely stuff and will suit your sweet tooth!

Agreed, that's the trick. Helps you to get the flavours without any 'burn'

joemcdokes is right. Also, try the first sip around the tongue and then add a drop (literally a teardop or 2) of water before the next sip. Depending on the whisky/age/and strength, it makes quite a difference to some of them.
Actually got told similar with wine, first sip tastes of alcohol then the 2nd sip you taste the wine.

Back