Which is your 1st sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some real decent posts here lads

I've been falling out of love with football for quite some time now, only bother going to a few games a season now, but late 80's through to mid 90's i would rarely miss a home or away sunderland match. I still want safc to do well mind, but I find it hard to relate to the players or the product itself. I don't mind watching my local team (consett) in the nothern league because its usually 22 players playing for the fun of the game and putting some effort in.

But as I've grown older, cricket to me, is more enjoyable, either at the riverside watching Durham, watching international cricket on tv, or just watching local teams play, like one poster mentioned if i'm out and about and see a cricket game, i'll quite happily watch an over or two

I think why cricket has overtaken football is maybe because most cricketers come across as decent folk, still in touch with the supporters, and also when i watch Durham play I am not on edge like I would be at a safc match, sure I want Durham to win but if a guy in the other team scores a ton or takes a 5 for, I'd applaud him, I couldn't do that at a Sunderland match

Last edited:

Cricket now. No question. I watch far more of it on TV, watch far more of it live - by a country mile.

The cricketers are canny lads, lads who I meet up with can smoke, stand, go for a beer anytime and generally please themselves. You can even fart if you want. :eek:

No trouble, no over zealous stewarding and no scandalous prices.

Nowt better when the sun is beaming down and Di Venuto is launching it to the boundary.

Really looking forward to the up and coming season. Hopefully the lads will do well.

I think why cricket has overtaken football is maybe because most cricketers come across as decent folk, still in touch with the supporters, and also when i watch Durham play I am not on edge like I would be at a safc match, sure I want Durham to win but if a guy in the other team scores a ton or takes a 5 for, I'd applaud him, I couldn't do that at a Sunderland match

I like that up at Durham when theres an acheivement you'll find the lads in Austins after the match celebrating with a drink, among us less talented beings. All of the lads seem happy to sign autographs and have a chat about the game.

I could imagine going on a night out with Plunkett and Coetzer (or whoever) and it being decent craic, rather than Gyan and Sessighon and not having a clue what they're on about or listening about what expensive toys they've bought this week.

If you take Sunderland out of the equation I would say I prefer cricket to football and that has been a gradual move over the last few years.

However, I wouldn't miss a run of the mill Sunderland match for a run of the mill Durham game although I would miss, and indeed have missed, a Sunderland game for a major Durham game (title decider, Lords final etc).

When it comes to internationals there is no contest. The England cricket team takes priority over the overpaid, under-achieving tossers who represent England at football every time.

think that sums it up for me pretty perfectly. except add a few more swear words about english international football

i am more passionate about sunderland than anything in my life (at the min) but cant really watch anyone else. i enjoy watching cricket, especially international and cant think of the last time i enjoyed a game of football.

like most people i am a huge england cricket fan but not at all the national soccer team

Always been a cricket fan first :)

Used to hate Football because of the types who looked down at cricket by saying it was either soft or a toffs game? :lol: (are you listening Vinnie Jones and Teddy Sherringham) probably because they lack the intellect to master the game.

But still hate the English football team though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back