Which Hikes or climbs do you have planned?

It’s horrible staying out in this like. Tbh even in summer it can be shite. We Stopped in Wasdale last June and spent the whole time either in the tent or the Wasdale head inn. Was a total waste of time. Did a climb in the piss rain and couldn’t see a thing. At least if it’s between March and october you’re giving yourself a chance of a visible and not mental Baltic day. The weather can be biblical even on our relatively low altitude fells.
Good examples ^ our climate can be very deceptive.

Actually last time I went up Helvellyn there was a lad with a newborn doing it in one of them papous things on his front so you’re spot on really ha.
Madness. I was surprised to see how many young kids were going up when I did it last summer- a lot in trainers, shorts and a t-shirt.
Not sure I'd have taken my two over striding edge when they were bairns. Even Swirral can be dangerous, especially if you're not in the right gear.

Defo doing striding edge this year...is it as scary as it looks on you tube?
Aye if you don’t like heights. Sharp edge on blencathra is worse though if you fancy a scary old day :lol:
That is insane behaviour tbf. One thing putting yourselves at risk but little ones is a different kind of stupid.
Aye that’s it like.
Madness. I was surprised to see how many young kids were going up when I did it last summer- a lot in trainers, shorts and a t-shirt.
Not sure I'd have taken my two over striding edge when they were bairns. Even Swirral can be dangerous, especially if you're not in the right gear.
Nah I’m never doing owt like that with anyone I’m responsible for. When you can decide for yourself then you’re old enough.

Last edited:
Anyone know if Helvellyn is likely to be doable end of March? Planning a trip up there with my Dad. We're both fit enough but don't have any serious gear
Helvellyn is a funny one in March, it can be doable without any issues whatsoever with navigation being easy given the massive paths up it.

However, it depends what the weather does between now and then. Helvellyn is unique in the Lakes as it holds the snow for longest. What might look ok down below can be a different story on the top especially if the clouds come in. You get cornices over the edge of the cliff which is quite near to the trig point so you can’t tell where the edge of the hill is and you find yourself standing over thin air!

Take a map as well, forgetting about snow, cloud comes in very quick on Helvellyn and can reduce visibility to a few metres making it easy to veer off the main trail despite it being a well worn path.

Best bet is to plan on being able to do it but keep an eye on the weather leading up to the date. Ground Conditons U.K. on FB is great for getting an up to date report of conditions on the tops, and also use MWIS for detailed forecast for that area and also have a plan B if the weather isn’t great (let’s face it, there’s not much point slogging up there when there’s nothing but cloud!)

Either way, enjoy, hope you get the weather.

Helvellyn is a funny one in March, it can be doable without any issues whatsoever with navigation being easy given the massive paths up it.

However, it depends what the weather does between now and then. Helvellyn is unique in the Lakes as it holds the snow for longest. What might look ok down below can be a different story on the top especially if the clouds come in. You get cornices over the edge of the cliff which is quite near to the trig point so you can’t tell where the edge of the hill is and you find yourself standing over thin air!

Take a map as well, forgetting about snow, cloud comes in very quick on Helvellyn and can reduce visibility to a few metres making it easy to veer off the main trail despite it being a well worn path.

Either way, enjoy, hope you get the weather.

Totally agree with that, cornices are very deceptive. it also seems to get stronger winds across the top . The criss cross of paths can also be confusing when visibilty is low.

Last edited:
I follow you on there. You should get some more videos up. I enjoy them.
I only put little clips up that I sent my kids,best vlogger is bald and bankrupt,when he did the Darien a few people said to me “You could do that a piece of piss” (I spent time in a few jungles years ago and used to do strange things) 😂

I only put little clips up that I sent my kids,best vlogger is bald and bankrupt,when he did the Darien a few people said to me “You could do that a piece of piss” (I spent time in a few jungles years ago and used to do strange things) 😂
Aye I watch him. These Karachi ones look grim like. That potato thing on the beach made me quite sad for them. Poor buggers. Actually that was on backpacker Ben but he’s out there with him.

Back