Which car should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

First time buyer, bit nervous about spending this amount of money - most expensive thing I own is a laptop! Car will be used for general commute to work, upto 200 miles a week on average.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=161757714

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=165940861

Bit of a mare buying a used car in the States, only had two, one used and the other new. Your money only seems to get you high milers, not like in the UK.

Not sure of your price range but if its around $12/13k you want to look at Honda Accords or Toyota Camry's to be honest and probably the V6 version as they are bomb proof. You may get a good deal on a VW as they have been having problems with diesel problems and the whole brand has taken a kicking. Though I would avoid anything Europeen TBF.

If you want American a Buick Regal (Vauxhall Insignia) or a Ford Taurus. Both are decent enough and you get a lot of car for your money with the Ford, very good drive and reliable too, though, they are big. Personally I'd go with the Jap cars, very reliable, go for miles and cheap to fix.

Only problem I had was getting insurance, all very expensive and the Jap cars are some of the highest for some reason, Insurance is paid every six months and varies state to state, due to state minimum coverage requirements. I and most of my mates have found Geico to be the cheapest overall.

Good luck with it.

O' and look at me I live in Portland OR, pathetic ;)

Bit of a mare buying a used car in the States, only had two, one used and the other new. Your money only seems to get you high milers, not like in the UK.

Not sure of your price range but if its around $12/13k you want to look at Honda Accords or Toyota Camry's to be honest and probably the V6 version as they are bomb proof. You may get a good deal on a VW as they have been having problems with diesel problems and the whole brand has taken a kicking. Though I would avoid anything Europeen TBF.

If you want American a Buick Regal (Vauxhall Insignia) or a Ford Taurus. Both are decent enough and you get a lot of car for your money with the Ford, very good drive and reliable too, though, they are big. Personally I'd go with the Jap cars, very reliable, go for miles and cheap to fix.

Only problem I had was getting insurance, all very expensive and the Jap cars are some of the highest for some reason, Insurance is paid every six months and varies state to state, due to state minimum coverage requirements. I and most of my mates have found Geico to be the cheapest overall.

Good luck with it.

O' and look at me I live in Portland OR, pathetic ;)

Already have a Camry, really nice just the corolla/Jetta is a bit cheaper. Insurance is pretty cheap for me I did the test here and I'm on with my wife so that may be why.

In an ideal world we would probably get a Subaru but like you said the used cars here hold their value horribly so you end up with a 2003 with 100k on the clock for 10 grand.

Already have a Camry, really nice just the corolla/Jetta is a bit cheaper. Insurance is pretty cheap for me I did the test here and I'm on with my wife so that may be why.

In an ideal world we would probably get a Subaru but like you said the used cars here hold their value horribly so you end up with a 2003 with 100k on the clock for 10 grand.
Go for the Corolla. A bit dull but it'll go forever.

Think you said you'd be doing 200 miles a week or so, if that was me I'd be looking at something that's comfortable drive not a tin box like the Corrolla/Jetta. Another Camry or change up to an Accord. If you need 4x4 a Subaru is a good call or even an Volvo XC70, the XC70 being the more comfortable to drive of those two.

As mentioned your money doesn't go far over here, though mileage wise I don't tend to worry about it as its mostly highway mileage rather than city mileage which is better.

Good luck with your search, took me an age to decide on what to buy.

First time buyer, bit nervous about spending this amount of money - most expensive thing I own is a laptop! Car will be used for general commute to work, upto 200 miles a week on average.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=161757714

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=165940861

Between the two? The Toyota every time!

a ford fiesta is a safe bet.

This 10,00000000000000000000%.

I have one and leaving work on one side of my car in the next bay was a Nissan 350z NISMO and in the other on the other side was a Fiesta ST. Neither I would have. They are all fur coat and no knickers. Mine has everything I want and I bet it was cheaper at 8k.

Last edited:
Between the two? The Toyota every time!

This 10,00000000000000000000%.

I have one and leaving work on one side of my car in the next bay was a Nissan 350z NISMO and in the other on the other side was a Fiesta ST. Neither I would have. They are all fur coat and no knickers. Mine has everything I want and I bet it was cheaper at 8k.
Worked on them for years, the 1.25 and 1.4 fiesta are fantastic for reliability. Great cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back