Which band "sold out" the most from their early stuff.

Not sure how people can say U2 sold out tbh. After their most successful album they went and completely changed their sound. Would've been much easier to churn out Joshua Tree-style albums again and again.

Probably going from their early new wave stuff in late 70's early 80's to commercial stadium rock stuff a decade later

Huang Chung. First album was a quirky sparse sound not a million miles from early Police with an Oriental flavour, sax, percussion etc.

Then they changed their name to Wang Chung so yanks would know how to pronounce it and came out with bilge like ‘Dance Hall Days’ and ‘Everybody Wang Chung Tonight’. Jesus man.
No surprise that you managed to sneak ‘The Chung’ into a thread!

Monster was definitely an attempt to become a stadium rock band.

If they did indeed ‘sell out’ I’d go far earlier than that.
The bubblegum pop tunes on Green & Out Of Time like Stand & Shiny Happy People respectively.
Probably an argument even that the likes of Finest Worksong & The One I Love on Document were obviously aimed far more at a commercial audience.
Without doubt Lifes Rich Pageant remains untainted mind ;)

Huang Chung. First album was a quirky sparse sound not a million miles from early Police with an Oriental flavour, sax, percussion etc.

Then they changed their name to Wang Chung so yanks would know how to pronounce it and came out with bilge like ‘Dance Hall Days’ and ‘Everybody Wang Chung Tonight’. Jesus man.
I quite liked Dance Hall Days.
I always thought they named themselves after a character in Flesh Gordon mind.

Jamiroqui

a superb acid jazz / funk debut album followed by cheesy pop dance guff
But if the little arsehole hadn't become as famous then the most glorious video in musical history where he was bullying a photographer who then stuck the nut on him would not exist
In what way did FNM sell out? (Apart from maybe that Easy cover they did)
They changed direction a bit, but a lot of their later stuff is heavier & arguably less commercial than the early stuff.
They haven't as far as I can tell. One of the most influential metal/rock bands of their era

Also Mike Patton is pretty much the most talented vocalist I have ever seen

I saw them in 1989 in Newcastle on a hooky tout ticket that looked like a metro ticket and the place was rammed. He came on stage with an inflatable brown ale bottle and my feet didn't touch the floor for the first song. Great band

Last edited:

Back