Where do bees live?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not on about ones kept in a hive by a bee keeper for honey.
When we see all these ones in the garden do they have nests in bushes or something, or do they go back to a hive somebody has got in a garden.
Must be wild bees not looked after by a keeper.

One permanent one in the grate in our village church.
Been there for many years I have been told.
In gert big holes in the back garden like these diggers or miners. Nasty vicious ones dug up by badgers. Kept me out the garden until I bombed them under cover of darkness. Still got stung though. It knacked. The hole they'd dug was as big as a bucket.

Logon or register to see this image

I had one build in a bird nest box a few years back.

Last edited:
I thought bees were protected? You can`t just destroy a nest like you can with wasps can you???

This is correct.
Masonry bees often get confused with wasps.
Had to tell my neighbour once that the “wasps” in his wall were bees.
Stupid fat twat anyway who everyone called Boss Hogg.

I started with fly-spray and that's when they got ugly so I legged it and regrouped. Sneaked up on them and petrol-bombed them and that just blew the lid off the nest and that's when I got stung. Followed me up the garden as well. Hard little buggers. Ended up using proper wasp nest destroyer I had in the garage dispensed down a length of copper 15mm blowpipe. It did the trick after a few hours and a few doses.

They were under this tree stump in a big hole with a tiny entrance initially.
Were they bees then, or wasps? I had a wasps nest incident last year that I hope never to repeat.

One permanent one in the grate in our village church.
Been there for many years I have been told.

I had one build in a bird nest box a few years back.
Got a mate keeps bees, he got a phone call to say there was nest hanging in a tree end of the lane. He asked me I would go with him to help drop it into a hive, no kidding I was shitting meself even with all the gear on, managed to get them into the box with the queen, he went back late at night to collect them. Was chuffed to bits later in the year when he gave me a jar of honey and he said it was from that hive.

A few of the tubes have been used. My back garden is a bit basic as it's been a playground for years, but I'm starting to reclaim it for myself now the bairns are older. I'm going to plant bee friendly flowers as I transform it so hopefully they will use it more.

You heard of bee bombs?

I have about 20 Mason Bees living on my patio. There are knot holes in the wood frame and they nest in those. I’m watching them as I’m writing this. If you’re nice to them they’ll sit on you.

Were they bees then, or wasps? I had a wasps nest incident last year that I hope never to repeat.

Digger bees and once their nest was disturbed by badgers they were aggressive for a couple of days. Couldn't go near them so they had to go. Really aggressive.

Not on about ones kept in a hive by a bee keeper for honey.
When we see all these ones in the garden do they have nests in bushes or something, or do they go back to a hive somebody has got in a garden.
Must be wild bees not looked after by a keeper.

I was sweeping out under the ivy bush in the front garden and this golf-ball sized thing came rolling out. These little bumble bees started flying out of it - I had to put to back and cover it over. Apparently it's quite rare to find one. Took a photo but it's hard to make out.

Been reading about the billy no mates bees since the lock in started. gonna use some leftover timber to make a few bee hotels with. Gotta keep the planet going until safc get back where it belongs.

The house i'm in now..took the old conservatory floor up when I moved in and there were two bees nests on the underside of the floor...they looked like they hadn't been used in a long time..the honeycomb was all intact..they must have been getting in through the hole in the airbricks..no mesh on the back..I've got covers over them all now like.

I started with fly-spray and that's when they got ugly so I legged it and regrouped. Sneaked up on them and petrol-bombed them and that just blew the lid off the nest and that's when I got stung. Followed me up the garden as well. Hard little buggers. Ended up using proper wasp nest destroyer I had in the garage dispensed down a length of copper 15mm blowpipe. It did the trick after a few hours and a few doses.

They were under this tree stump in a big hole with a tiny entrance initially.
You do know that bees are protected and you’re supposed to get a professional to move them on?

Been reading about the billy no mates bees since the lock in started. gonna use some leftover timber to make a few bee hotels with. Gotta keep the planet going until safc get back where it belongs.
Check out propolis mate, the bee keeper lad introduced me to it, amazing antiseptic properties. The lass used get cold sores, two drops of it once she feels one coming on, next day all sorted. If I get a sore throat I use it mixed with honey, fixes all sorts of things

In gert big holes in the back garden like these diggers or miners. Nasty vicious ones dug up by badgers. Kept me out the garden until I bombed them under cover of darkness. Still got stung though. It knacked. The hole they'd dug was as big as a bucket.

Were they not digger wasps? Bees not normally that aggressive and they look quite bright. Mind you its hard to tell on there and pleased you're ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back