Where did it all go wrong

That third reading goal was right up there mind, I sometimes hoy it on youtube and can't believe it was scored by my team. They'd be creaming about that one still if man city had scored it.
Haha read my mind. Was just thinking , there’s no footy on tonight , have to decide between the full 90 mins of either Reading or Blackburn games. 😁

Looking at it from the clubs point of view I suppose they’d argue it hasn’t really gone wrong.

Last season was probably seen as an over achievement and as such a blip on the gradual progression expected in the 5 year plan.

This year a mid table finish puts the plan back on track.

Look at it however you want the recruitment over the last two windows doesn’t suggest a meaningful attempt at promotion which makes the mid season sacking of Mowbray an even stranger move.

For a club looking for consolidation in this league Mowbray represents an ideal candidate.
I see it as more of trend that will continue towards a bottom-half struggle next season with the incumbents currently in charge. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm keeping my expectations very low to avoid disappointment.

They haven't a scooby.

Looking at it from the clubs point of view I suppose they’d argue it hasn’t really gone wrong.

Last season was probably seen as an over achievement and as such a blip on the gradual progression expected in the 5 year plan.

Look at it however you want the recruitment over the last two windows doesn’t suggest a meaningful attempt at promotion which makes the mid season sacking of Mowbray an even stranger move.

For a club looking for consolidation in this league Mowbray represents an ideal candidate.
It's definitely not gone wrong.
On promotion to the championship, KLD and KS would have been happy having a mid table team, low wage to turnover and most importantly a team with players who are worth money like jack Clarke.
We got promoted with a squad of league one players worth nowt, and had to compete with championship clubs who regularly sell players for 10 mil plus, so can afford to then get better players than we can.

We now have a squad with players worth money, we can sell and compete and buy better players.

The big question is will we though - weve recently spent a bit on players and they all look awful - but then we've generally spend badly.

Insisting on buying young players from abroad is costing us. Have any of the below been a success?

Dajaku
Hoffman
Bennette
Ba
Lihadji
Michut
Rusyn
Seelt
Pembele
Mayenda
Hemir
Triantis
Aouchiche
You can add to that Styles and Hjelde and our home grown boys are also not at the right level either.

You generally get what you pay for and "the Model" is never going to get us to the level we want.

No flexibility in recruitment , 3 shite transfer windows in a row.
Sacked Mowbray to cover up for the owner and Speakmans mistakes
Appointed a coach that nobody wanted who turns out was a nut job who had burner accounts where he slagged off the supporters , the squad and our owner.
Dodds appointed for the 3rd time ,who just so happens to be best mates with Speakman, who after giving him the gig,said he was happy to just plod along for the rest of the season.
Pretty much this.

Last season we snuck into sixth on the last game of the season with the second lowest points total in over 20 years. That was helped by two loan players. This season, the last time our two best attacking players (Clarke and Roberts) played together we were in sixth. We've sunk since due to injuries and suspensions but will still finish mid-table. In hindsight, we should have kept Mowbray but we would only have had him for a couple of games before Dodds would have taken over anyway and we still would have had to deal with the injuries and suspensions. Everything that happens next (selling Clarke, Ballard, Neil, failing to recruit, "yes man" as manager) is pure speculation. There have been obvious mistakes and bad luck but, to your point, it hasn't really gone wrong.

Insisting on buying young players from abroad is costing us. Have any of the below been a success?

Dajaku
Hoffman
Bennette
Ba
Lihadji
Michut
Rusyn
Seelt
Pembele
Mayenda
Hemir
Triantis
Aouchiche
That is quite damning. Aouchiche looks the most likely to be effective after being left out for a while, but he’s by no means a cert.

Last season we snuck into sixth on the last game of the season with the second lowest points total in over 20 years. That was helped by two loan players. This season, the last time our two best attacking players (Clarke and Roberts) played together we were in sixth. We've sunk since due to injuries and suspensions but will still finish mid-table. In hindsight, we should have kept Mowbray but we would only have had him for a couple of games before Dodds would have taken over anyway and we still would have had to deal with the injuries and suspensions. Everything that happens next (selling Clarke, Ballard, Neil, failing to recruit, "yes man" as manager) is pure speculation. There have been obvious mistakes and bad luck but, to your point, it hasn't really gone wrong.
So what you're saying is we were lucky last season and unlucky this season.😂

It's definitely not gone wrong.
On promotion to the championship, KLD and KS would have been happy having a mid table team, low wage to turnover and most importantly a team with players who are worth money like jack Clarke.
We got promoted with a squad of league one players worth nowt, and had to compete with championship clubs who regularly sell players for 10 mil plus, so can afford to then get better players than we can.

We now have a squad with players worth money, we can sell and compete and buy better players.

The big question is will we though - weve recently spent a bit on players and they all look awful - but then we've generally spend badly.
We got promoted to the championship with Stewart, Clarke, Roberts,Batth, Gooch, Neil,Patto, Hume, Cirkin, O'nien and Evans as part of the squad, So saying that those players were worth nowt is ludicrous. Now our squad is padded out with young inexperienced lads after 3 shite transfer windows .

This summer is our biggest in a long time because it could really go either way. The last three transfer windows don’t fill me with much hope.

I can only hope we get the Speakman of the L1 days, playing with bigger numbers, rather than the one we’ve suffered this past year.
If we lose Clarke we have nobody in the squad that comes close to replacing him, that leaves the transfer market and after the last 3 I have very little confidence in Speakman

If we lose Clarke we have nobody in the squad that comes close to replacing him, that leaves the transfer market and after the last 3 I have very little confidence in Speakman
We’ll likely be left with £15m after everyone’s taken their slice of Clarke’s transfer fee.

We had £8m from Stewart, which was actually an excellent bit of business. It’s been spent on what can only charitably be described as youth prospects. We need players who can hit the ground running this summer, and ideally ones who can lead and teach these kids to push on.

We’ll likely be left with £15m after everyone’s taken their slice of Clarke’s transfer fee.

We had £8m from Stewart, which was actually an excellent bit of business. It’s been spent on what can only charitably be described as youth prospects. We need players who can hit the ground running this summer, and ideally ones who can lead and teach these kids to push on.
I don’t think we will get anything like the price most fans think we will get for Clarke.

I don’t think we will get anything like the price most fans think we will get for Clarke.
If we believe the rumours, we turned down £10m+ for him in the summer from Burnley. His stock is worth even more this summer after showing he can almost carry a whole team on his own.

I think £20m is well within the realms of possibility.

Back