Where did it all go wrong

Mackemansj1

Striker
Just 12 months ago we were playing some amazing football, scoring some of the best team goals I've ever seen a Sunderland side score. A team together about to make a late run into the play offs, we'd lose players but people came in and picked up the slack. Everyone seemed to be pulling in the same direction from manager players fans etc. It really felt like we were on the cusp of finding our way back to the top flight with an exciting young squad and the club having the feeling of those days under reidy or keano where anything seemed possible. Looking forward to the next game, walking upto the sol seeing people with smiles on their faces. What a difference a year makes eh.

Just 12 months ago we were playing some amazing football, scoring some of the best team goals I've ever seen a Sunderland side score. A team together about to make a late run into the play offs, we'd lose players but people came in and picked up the slack. Everyone seemed to be pulling in the same direction from manager players fans etc. It really felt like we were on the cusp of finding our way back to the top flight with an exciting young squad and the club having the feeling of those days under reidy or keano where anything seemed possible. Looking forward to the next game, walking upto the sol seeing people with smiles on their faces. What a difference a year makes eh.
Probably scored a lot more individual efforts than decent team goals in reality.

We had three excellent forward players. One of them we never got back, one has been injured since Christmas, and the best one's been out for 6 weeks.

That's where it went wrong.

No flexibility in recruitment , 3 shite transfer windows in a row.
Sacked Mowbray to cover up for the owner and Speakmans mistakes
Appointed a coach that nobody wanted who turns out was a nut job who had burner accounts where he slagged off the supporters , the squad and our owner.
Dodds appointed for the 3rd time ,who just so happens to be best mates with Speakman, who after giving him the gig,said he was happy to just plod along for the rest of the season.

Probably scored a lot more individual efforts than decent team goals in reality.

We had three excellent forward players. One of them we never got back, one has been injured since Christmas, and the best one's been out for 6 weeks.

That's where it went wrong.
That third reading goal was right up there mind, I sometimes hoy it on youtube and can't believe it was scored by my team. They'd be creaming about that one still if man city had scored it.

Should have:
1. Signed/replaced Amad.
2. Signed a striker ready to lead the line.
3. Added a couple of older heads, particularly a DCM.

We needed to pick up where we left off, and complimented what we had with a bit more quality. Instead we changed too much too quickly, including our style of play. In hindsight breaking quickly and doing our work “in transition” suits us better than having a lot of the ball and asking CBs to step out with it.

Deffo a few great team goals that season mind.
I think it's a little overstated, but we had good players and goals are never really bad anyway.

Interesting how many Embo was involved in early doors...
Amad and Roberts and Clarke were unstoppable and the goals were fantastic! We lost Amad and didn't invest in another good quality player!
Impossible to replace at this level to be fair.

Last edited:

Back