When will football decide enough is enough?

dcl0sc

Striker
Salah will earn £52m over 3 years (and he's not anywhere near the highest paid players) and whilst I don't begrudge him receiving it (as Liverpool are willing to pay it), a surgeon who performs life saving surgery on children, us and who knows maybe Salah one day won't even earn 1% of that over 3 years.

Surely the football hierarchy needs to set caps on spending across Europe same for every club?

In a few years we are going to get players being paid £1m per week (it can't be sustainable surely????) and at which point I can honestly see fans being turned off.

I don’t agree with that obscene amount of money but it happens with the best in pretty much all popular sport. Football, the NHL, NFL and NBA.

Only difference is that in yank land they have the trade and draft system so there’s a good chance you won’t go 100 years without seeing your team win something.

I don’t agree with that obscene amount of money but it happens with the best in pretty much all popular sport. Football, the NHL, NFL and NBA.

Only difference is that in yank land they have the trade and draft system so there’s a good chance you won’t go 100 years without seeing your team win something.
Exactly. The worst teams get the opportunity to actually come through and vice versa

in football you get a club like chelsea signing any decent kid , keeping them for a couple of years, loaning them to favoured clubs, but not allowed to play v them

usually have over 20 players out on loan. Imo that ridiculous and needs stopping, then those good young lads will get spread more throughout the leagues

wont happen of course

Never

free market capitalism. The fans lap it up. Whilst paying a £100 a ticket at some grounds for one single game
Unfortunately mate you're right.

BUT as the cost of living starts to bite everyone (due to world circumstances FUCK YOU PUTIN), I can see the average punter losing his/her patience dramatically, when they struggle to heat the house or feed the family and then see players like Salah creaming £52m over 3 years for kicking a pigs stomach about a pitch.

I just don't see how we could ever hope to compete at the top anymore.

We used to be a sleeping giant. I don't think we're even that anymore.

Yeah we could have a freak season or two where we make the top 4 but we will never be able to sustain it.

It's not a sport anymore really is it.

The players are in the shop window week in, week out. Performance dictates reward.
The agents on the other hand are sucking the lifeblood out of the game.

Unfortunately mate you're right.

BUT as the cost of living starts to bite everyone (due to world circumstances FUCK YOU PUTIN), I can see the average punter losing his/her patience dramatically, when they struggle to heat the house or feed the family and then see players like Salah creaming £52m over 3 years for kicking a pigs stomach about a pitch.
For those big clubs like Liverpool , I don’t even think a crowd attending won’t make much difference. They have the world watching on streams etc etc. they could charge £2 a game for streams and get around £20 million back from around the world

and that’s each match, nigh on £760 million a season

For those big clubs like Liverpool , I don’t even think a crowd attending won’t make much difference. They have the world watching on streams etc etc. they could charge £2 a game for streams and get around £20 million back from around the world

and that’s each match, nigh on £760 million a season
The Premier League is the crowd though. they don't attend the product is fucked. That's why all these clubs invest in bigger stadia.
cancel Sky Bt etc the wages will soon come down
Stopped Sky Sports and BT years ago.

The Premier League is the crowd though. they don't attend the product is fucked. That's why all these clubs invest in bigger stadia.

Stopped Sky Sports and BT years ago.
It’s slowly turning though with sky etc. more stuff via YouTube, things on channels like sky showcase. The advertisers are wanting more customer eyes on their pitch side stuff

behind pay walls are limiting their profits. , streams are the future and where the real big money is to be had

as I said £2 a stream, 10 million watching worldwide, £20 million a game, £780 million a season

the fans are just there to provide additional sound effects

Surely was better when our heroes felt like part of the community instead of behind a VIP rope. It’s obscene money. Mid 90s when first started going out I met such lovely people like Julian Joachim, Ian Taylor even Steve Watson(and Howey, Howey, Howey) drinking right next to me. Those days definitely gone.

Back