When was the last time we appointed...

Think we need to get rid of Speakman and replace him with a top level SD. Pound shop conman he is. Can’t think of any manager who would want to work for the prick now

He would have had a cracking record if the 1-1's were wins seeing as how he had about 50 of them.
I always felt a bit sorry for Parkinson to be honest. He was being judged as a manager of a stature of club not befitting of it's actual level at the time. He managed us at our very lowest ebb, but he wasn't responsible for getting us there. He took charge of what was possibly the worst financed squad we'd ever had. It wasn't the most inspiring football, but we didn't lose a lot of games either. That might have actually stood us in good stead had we made the play-offs under him, which Covid wrote off in his first season, and we did ultimately finish there under Johnson the season he was sacked.

I don't think there's ever been a Sunderland manager with so little resources as Phil Parkinson. Maybe there's an argument there for Jack Ross in his second season, as that's the side Parky inherited.

I always felt a bit sorry for Parkinson to be honest. He was being judged as a manager of a stature of club not befitting of it's actual level at the time. He managed us at our very lowest ebb, but he wasn't responsible for getting us there. He took charge of what was possibly the worst financed squad we'd ever had. It wasn't the most inspiring football, but we didn't lose a lot of games either. That might have actually stood us in good stead had we made the play-offs under him, which Covid wrote off in his first season, and we did ultimately finish there under Johnson the season he was sacked.

I don't think there's ever been a Sunderland manager with so little resources as Phil Parkinson. Maybe there's an argument there for Jack Ross in his second season, as that's the side Parky inherited.

We were that Mandron last minute equaliser for Gillingham away from making the playoffs under Parkinson….. his sliding doors moment !

Ross had a team that should have pegged League One. Parkinson took over after the better players had gone. Doing alright with Wrexham but they have a Hollywood budget innit.

I think that's why he got the Wrexham opportunity because their Hollywood owners were following the Sunderland story beyond STID. Turned out well for him,

Parkinson was still pap but I don't hate him. The only ones I have grown to hate are SG, LJ, AN and Beale.

Don't hate Parkinson, Ross or Coleman at all. Crap jobs, but don't hate them.
Funny one, hatred. I'd have probably told you I hate McCarthy, Grayson and Coleman, but then I think about Grayson and Coleman and do I really hate them or were they just crap. I hated Lee Johnson whilst he was here, but he's just a joke really, someone to laugh at.

I hate Bruce for the narrative he's spun since we peddled him. I was ambivalent to his departure - there was a time I quite liked him.

The rest? Not particularly arsed. Still plenty of time for Alex Neil for the job he did getting us out of that nightmare.

I dunno where it went so wrong for Jack Ross. We hoyed a lot of points away from winning positions (though I think we gained a few from losing positions too). Obviously we lost Maja - keep him and we're up. And I think he was severely undermined by the Grigg deal, and possibly even by the Leadbitter deal as well. I also don't think the dressing room was quite right. I think some of the players had begun to believe their own hype. The likes of Maguire, McGeady spring to mind. Our latter season tactic of pass the ball to McGeady put paid to the decent football we'd played earlier in the campaign. And if Ross made one fatal mistake, I think it was giving the captaincy to George Honeyman. The lad became undroppable even when he was f***ing useless.

Last edited:

Back