When Bob Murray bought Sunderland?

Speaking of Barry Batey.
I was at Gosforth Park when Batey's horse, Highflying, (the jockey, Joe Fanning, wearing red & white silks) won the Northumberland Plate in 1993.
Joyous scenes as lots of ecstatic punters of a red and white persuasion, celebrated Highflying's win, while angry punters of a black n white persuasion, who were unhappy to see Highflying (in Sunderland colours) racing up to the winning post, threw pints, bottles and cans of beer at the horse.
Iirc taking drink on to the course was banned after the way Highflying was targetted by some bitter punters.
Were any of the posters on here, there that day ? and did you back Batey's horse ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Barry Batey.
I was at Gosforth Park when Batey's horse, Highflying, (the jockey, Joe Fanning, wearing red & white silks) won the Northumberland Plate in 1993.
Joyous scenes as lots of ecstatic punters of a red and white persuasion, celebrated Highflying's win, while angry punters of a black n white persuasion, who were unhappy to see Highflying (in Sunderland colours) racing up to the winning post, threw pints, bottles and cans of beer at the horse.
Iirc taking drink on to the course was banned after the way Highflying was targetted by some bitter punters.
Were any of the posters on here, there that day ? and did you back Batey's horse ?
Not there, but backed it.

So theyve abused horses as far back as the 90’s?
Sadly, aye.

So theyve abused horses as far back as the 90’s?
I heard that things got so bad, the city council cancelled all panto's in the city, which featured pantomime hosses, out of concern for the welfare of the panto hosses.
. . . . Though I could be making this up. :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares, it's history.

Sunderland fans like me who were barely toddlers at that time so have limited knowledge of the club’s prospective purchasers in the 80s.

Sadly, aye.

I heard that things got so bad, the city council cancelled all panto's in the city, which featured pantomime hosses, out of concern for the welfare of the panto hosses.
. . . . Though I could be making this up. :lol: :lol:

Wasn’t there something from a derby game in the early 1900s where there was a horse seriously injured??

Last edited:

Back