Wheatsheaf Bowling Alley Closure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might not be totally correct on the finer details but... as part of the deal between the council and Tesco regarding the old Vaux site, Tesco will build a whopping supermarket on the old retail park at the top of Roker Avenue; the bowling alley will be flattened as part of this.

That's a done deal but is seems that the council is unwilling to let the owner relocate to a currently unused building elsewhere in town (I don't know where).

As far as I'm concerned, it's the only proper bowling alley within a 15 mile radius and I have fond childhood memories of this place.

I doubt it will make any difference whatsoever but could you please sign the online petition to register your disapproval of this stonewalling by the council. After you've registered your name/comments you'll see a "please donate" page for the site hosting the petition, just close it as it's a standard plea for funds by the site hosting the petition and nothing to do with any sort of "fighting fund".

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saveourbowl/

I might not be totally correct on the finer details but... as part of the deal between the council and Tesco regarding the old Vaux site, Tesco will build a whopping supermarket on the old retail park at the top of Roker Avenue; the bowling alley will be flattened as part of this.

That's a done deal but is seems that the council is unwilling to let the owner relocate to a currently unused building elsewhere in town (I don't know where).

As far as I'm concerned, it's the only proper bowling alley within a 15 mile radius and I have fond childhood memories of this place.

I doubt it will make any difference whatsoever but could you please sign the online petition to register your disapproval of this stonewalling by the council. After you've registered your name/comments you'll see a "please donate" page for the site hosting the petition, just close it as it's a standard plea for funds by the site hosting the petition and nothing to do with any sort of "fighting fund".

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saveourbowl/

It's been dead for years, and I am sure they will be getting paid handsomely for the land.

Don't get me wrong I have fond memories of the place too, used to knock about there all the time.

But I am sure the owners can afford to find a place themselves without handouts from the council.

I wont be voting.

Demolish the place and go cosmic bowling at the sunniside place

They will get a decent price for the land no doubt. It needs to go to regenerate the area, hopefully they can survive in another location, but Tesco will bring more jobs than a bowling alley ever can. Pity mind because I used to love bowling/the palace as a student.

Demolish the place and go cosmic bowling at the sunniside place

The place is getting demolished anyway, there's no issue with that.

I genuinely want the whole Sunniside thing to succeed but I also want a proper bowling alley in town, one that looks like something off King Pin or Uncle Buck... that's what a bowling alley is supposed to look like.

I've visited the one in Sunniside a couple of times and it seems like the bowling aspect of it is pretty much peripheral.

15 miles, where do you live, theres one at The Galleries in Washington and on in Sunderland city cnetre, or have i been whoosed! :confused:

15 miles, where do you live, theres one at The Galleries in Washington and on in Sunderland city cnetre, or have i been whoosed! :confused:

What I said was:

"As far as I'm concerned, it's the only proper bowling alley within a 15 mile radius and I have fond childhood memories of this place."

The one in town is pretty much geared up for kids, the one in Washington is better but it still doesn't do it for me.

Just outside of my 15 mile radius was the one on West Road in Newcastle (god forbid that one's been closed too).

Externally, I agree that it's an absolute eyesore; the building is getting flattened anyway and has nowt to do with my post.

When its gone all the idiots will be blaming the Council for it disappearing:confused:

The Bowling Alley/Locarno/Tiffs/Mecca/Genevieves

Memories:)

Last edited:
20 lane bowling alley in Sunderland would make no money, the Mecca has struggled for as long as I can remember, in fact I have no idea how they have lasted so long.

Not that i favor or care about the sport, but isnt a bowling alley a bowling alley.... :confused:

No, Patch is right.
I go bowling at Newcastle rd, the centres at Washington & top of high st are shite in comparison. It's like a classic car versus a new ford fiesta, I know what I'd rather have.

No, Patch is right.
I go bowling at Newcastle rd, the centres at Washington & top of high st are shite in comparison. It's like a classic car versus a new ford fiesta, I know what I'd rather have.

Thats fair enough to a seasoned pro....but please explain why?

Thats fair enough to a seasoned pro....but please explain why?

Seasoned pros have nothing to do with this, anybody who plays bowls & is older than a teen should be pissed about this closure.
I realise that younguns care nothing for nostalgia but swapping the mecca bowling centre for a modern glitzy place is as I said swapping a classic MG for a Nissan - whatever.
It's like when Safc swapped their badge from the ship to the mags badge rip off. Or when we moved from roker park to the ssol.
I feel the same about todays cinemas & now refuse to go into a modern multiplex. The ABC & the Odeon were cinemas, what we have now are just buildings where films are shown.

Seasoned pros have nothing to do with this, anybody who plays bowls & is older than a teen should be pissed about this closure.
I realise that younguns care nothing for nostalgia but swapping the mecca bowling centre for a modern glitzy place is as I said swapping a classic MG for a Nissan - whatever.
It's like when Safc swapped their badge from the ship to the mags badge rip off. Or when we moved from roker park to the ssol.
I feel the same about todays cinemas & now refuse to go into a modern multiplex. The ABC & the Odeon were cinemas, what we have now are just buildings where films are shown.

fair enough, what i meant about 'seasoned pros' was people who play, not age.....im 33 and never go bowling, so couldnt give a flying fuck as to the fact its closed. Sorry and all that, but thats what i meant....whats the reason you think it matters so much that this one place has closed and the others on offer dont compare.

fair enough, what i meant about 'seasoned pros' was people who play, not age.....im 33 and never go bowling, so couldnt give a flying fuck as to the fact its closed. Sorry and all that, but thats what i meant....whats the reason you think it matters so much that this one place has closed and the others on offer dont compare.

The same reason as I don't like multiplex cinemas, didn't like the new badge & didn't like the new stadium.
Nostalgia, cosiness, atmosphere & just liking something that has a bit of history. I met my wife over there as well which also probably has a big thing to do with my thinking. Mind for that reason I should hate the place.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back