What's a Geordie

Must be scary knowing the exact date you're gonna die.
Unless you never leave County Durham of course.

Probably won't now. Packed the away games in at end of last season. Pre-season away trips the year before. Been to see all of my kids for 6 weeks each, oldest in New Zealand, the other 3 in Poole, Stafford and my youngest boy, he's 44 now is in Dereham.

This is probably the biggest slap in the face to the REAL Geordie Nation. Geordies I’m sure like everyone else do NOT want to be inexorably defined by the football club. I sure it was mentioned some time ago but Geordies are not necessarily the clubs supporters. Lots of people are not supporters of the club.

Lots of people are defined more by the area than the club. When I stayed at that hotel overnight as part of my lasses Valentines gift everyone who worked there was really friendly and helpful. Not one at any time banged on about Newcastle United. I doubt they even care much for the club. They are more interested in giving a good image of the business and the city.

Same goes for everyone else. Not everyone in Sunderland is a Sunderland supporter. They may not even have an interest in the game.

So much is made of the proud history of the sport in the North East that theirs this image that everyone in the region must love to some degree the football club. Wanting it to do well doesn’t mean you are a fan.

Every time I drive to Newcastle, mostly to take mum to appointment at the Freeman or RVI (as close as it is to SJP), I don’t get the sense that they are living the club in their everyday life 24/7.

The Toon have hijacked the name Geordie for me. It’s time the rest of the city reclaimed it.

This is probably the biggest slap in the face to the REAL Geordie Nation. Geordies I’m sure like everyone else do NOT want to be inexorably defined by the football club. I sure it was mentioned some time ago but Geordies are not necessarily the clubs supporters. Lots of people are not supporters of the club.

Lots of people are defined more by the area than the club. When I stayed at that hotel overnight as part of my lasses Valentines gift everyone who worked there was really friendly and helpful. Not one at any time banged on about Newcastle United. I doubt they even care much for the club. They are more interested in giving a good image of the business and the city.

Same goes for everyone else. Not everyone in Sunderland is a Sunderland supporter. They may not even have an interest in the game.

So much is made of the proud history of the sport in the North East that theirs this image that everyone in the region must love to some degree the football club. Wanting it to do well doesn’t mean you are a fan.

Every time I drive to Newcastle, mostly to take mum to appointment at the Freeman or RVI (as close as it is to SJP), I don’t get the sense that they are living the club in their everyday life 24/7.

The Toon have hijacked the name Geordie for me. It’s time the rest of the city reclaimed it.
Newcastle has the lowest proportion of Geordies on the Tyne to be fair. The city centre is largely students (who are increasingly foreign), ex-students and professionals. You can walk through the city centre on a week day and barely hear a geordie accent. Walk down the main shopping street and it's like being in a foreign country at times

Newcastle has the lowest proportion of Geordies on the Tyne to be fair. The city centre is largely students (who are increasingly foreign), ex-students and professionals. You can walk through the city centre on a week day and barely hear a geordie accent. Walk down the main shopping street and it's like being in a foreign country at times
Most Geordies are Chinese.

It wasn’t. The turning point was the premier league and the mag shirt off Sky obsession

I don’t remember the term mackem being used much in the late 80s/early 90s as a kid growing up.

I’m sure I’ve a Sunderland annual from 91 which says the official nickname was the Rokerites.
I read that once but I have never heard anyone use that expression .

It wasn’t. The turning point was the premier league and the mag shirt off Sky obsession

I don’t remember the term mackem being used much in the late 80s/early 90s as a kid growing up.

I’m sure I’ve a Sunderland annual from 91 which says the official nickname was the Rokerites.
I remember when I started going to the match 87/88 there was the Mackem/Geordie chant.

Also remember the Rokerites being the ‘official’ nickname then. It might even have been in the programme.

I read that once but I have never heard anyone use that expression .
I remember when I started going to the match 87/88 there was the Mackem/Geordie chant.

Also remember the Rokerites being the ‘official’ nickname then. It might even have been in the programme.

1983 Panini Footy sticker

Logon or register to see this image

1983-84
(PABH-1) PK Football Facts - English Division 1
PK Chewing Gum / Wrigleys Ltd
22 cards

Last edited:
A few more Rokerites references. It's mentioned in this link though we have a black cat on the card and Birmingham is 😯

Top of the page

1990 magazine

1970s pennant

Geordies live on the North or South Bank of the Tyne. The north will always be Northumberland and the South Co Durham. I have a lot of marras who are happy to be Geordies who are MLF’s. It was the former Sunderland supporter John Hall who in need to rally support amongst the gullible came out with this Geordie Nation bollocks
This is the correct answer

Equally Ha'way was used in Newcastle. Miners riding up and down mine shafts shouting half way seems to be the accepted derivation, which became ha'way from half way not holf way and ho'way. The geordie bloke in Alan Partridge (think he is from Carlisle and just does the voice) he says ha'way and only seems to be the association with us and the Northumbrian wooly backs who changed it to ho'way. Anybody outside of the NE struggles to tell the difference, a lot of "cockneys" are from the SE but get lumped in with that there London in the same way.
Absolute nonsense. Sorry pal.

I'm a northumbrian, and its not said like that at all. It's only Geordies.....who we Northumbrians accosicate with Newcastle/South Tyneside.

May have changed recently owing to their new founded owners. But otherwise shite.

Absolute nonsense. Sorry pal.

I'm a northumbrian, and its not said like that at all. It's only Geordies.....who we Northumbrians accosicate with Newcastle/South Tyneside.

May have changed recently owing to their new founded owners. But otherwise shite.
Apologies it wasnt a dig at all Northumbrians, I worked with a couple of lads from, think it was Wooler who I first heard use it, previous to that it was always ha'way. Maybe they had jumped on the bandwagon. It obviously started somewhere and that was where I heard it. In the same way, I was born in County Durham and don't associate Durham pit Yakkers with everybody in county durham. You say it's not said like that, so is it not said, was ha'way and now ho'way or just not said?

Back