What's a Geordie

Classy lot.

Anyway, two main questions arise from this:

1. Why are those lot convinced they’re lovely people?

2. Why is the reporter fella dressed like he’s about to storm the Iranian Embassy?

1. That is the mantra they have to repeat. It’s in the Geordie manifesto, a little book they’re all required to carry about with them.

2. He is about to storm the Iranian embassy…….err…..actually I mean the Greggs shop on Northumberland street

Equally Ha'way was used in Newcastle. Miners riding up and down mine shafts shouting half way seems to be the accepted derivation, which became ha'way from half way not holf way and ho'way. The geordie bloke in Alan Partridge (think he is from Carlisle and just does the voice) he says ha'way and only seems to be the association with us and the Northumbrian wooly backs who changed it to ho'way. Anybody outside of the NE struggles to tell the difference, a lot of "cockneys" are from the SE but get lumped in with that there London in the same way.
View media item 11715

Equally Ha'way was used in Newcastle. Miners riding up and down mine shafts shouting half way seems to be the accepted derivation, which became ha'way from half way not holf way and ho'way. The geordie bloke in Alan Partridge (think he is from Carlisle and just does the voice) he says ha'way and only seems to be the association with us and the Northumbrian wooly backs who changed it to ho'way. Anybody outside of the NE struggles to tell the difference, a lot of "cockneys" are from the SE but get lumped in with that there London in the same way.

Not sure that’s quite ‘generally accepted’ but the other strong candidate also has ha’way as the correct version.

Comes from ‘have way’ or to allow someone to go ahead and pass you.

I was born in Newcastle. Same place as Bob Murray but a few years later. Sunderland won their last major trophy later that afternoon

I then lived in Felling for a couple of years before moving to nearer Chester-le-Street.

The reason I support Sunderland is that the group of school friends I was part of used to get the Langley Park and Witton Gilbert bis to Roker Park each home match so it started from then. Some people get less for murder.

So I suppose I am both a mackem and a Geordie and don’t mind being labelled either or both.

overall this fellas channel is pretty good an interesting about the history of Newcastle etc.

However, he's a typical plastic mag at times with a chip on his shoulder because he lives closer to Sunderland than he does Newcastle.

Shame as i think his content for thew most part is good.
Aye- doesn't mind getting the digs in and shows a disdain for Sunderland.
Mackem and tackem came about because the Newcastle yards had to complete the ships we started.
Battle of Boldon Hill was a draw- well he would say that wouldn't he.

From the old song

Wherivvor ye gan ye're sure te find a Geordie
Wherivvor ye gan yer native tongue ye'll hear
In any place across the sea
It makes nee odds where it might be
Ye'll sure to hear a Geordie say 'Wot Cheor'
From canny Newcassel, Sunderland and Gateshead
From Tyne and Wear ye'll meet them ivvorywhere
There's not a place that ye can name
But somebody wants the news from hyem
Whivvor ye gan the Geordie will be there

Why oh why oh why do they constantly need reassurance? A video like this almost seems like they require daily confirmation. On top of the constant confirmation and reminders, the Geordie bingo phrases like …..we’re git canny up here, we’re friendly, we like having a laugh, we don’t wear coats when oot on the toon etc.
It’s strange, not least because these are things other people are supposed to say about a you, not espoused by the person………eg most normal people wouldn’t go about telling other people they themselves are git canny.
The regularity of the catch phrases makes you think it’s almost like marketing tactics. But ultimately it’s fake nice, there’s something unauthentic about it.

Last edited:

Back