What's a Geordie

Geordies live on the North or South Bank of the Tyne. The north will always be Northumberland and the South Co Durham. I have a lot of marras who are happy to be Geordies who are MLF’s. It was the former Sunderland supporter John Hall who in need to rally support amongst the gullible came out with this Geordie Nation bollocks

Geordies live on the North or South Bank of the Tyne. The north will always be Northumberland and the South Co Durham. I have a lot of marras who are happy to be Geordies who are MLF’s. It was the former Sunderland supporter John Hall who in need to rally support amongst the gullible came out with this Geordie Nation bollocks

That definition is probably something which only emerged after the John Hall era.

I think the most accurate definition is anyone from the Northumberland or Durham coalfields.

I think that the term Geordie was nothing to do with location, born within a mile of the tyne etc

It all came about when King George was on the throne and George became a very popular name amongst the working classes.
When the well to do needed some manual work doing they got a few "Georges" in which became "Geordies" over time.

So basically it was the slang for the working classes at the time which has been romanticised over the years into what it is today.

Indeed - can remember chanting “Geordie Aggro” in the Fulwell when it kicked off on the pitch in the mid 80s.
Equally Ha'way was used in Newcastle. Miners riding up and down mine shafts shouting half way seems to be the accepted derivation, which became ha'way from half way not holf way and ho'way. The geordie bloke in Alan Partridge (think he is from Carlisle and just does the voice) he says ha'way and only seems to be the association with us and the Northumbrian wooly backs who changed it to ho'way. Anybody outside of the NE struggles to tell the difference, a lot of "cockneys" are from the SE but get lumped in with that there London in the same way.

Back