What was the actual figure Maja got offered per week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

He wouldn't have gone for free, we would have got around 500k compensation due to his age.

We decided instead to cash in and then replace a 25 goal a season striker by spunking £3million on Grigg......Don has probably had many sleepless nights over this decision.

Yep made worse by the revelation that Jack actually told him not to pay more than 1.5 million for him.

Yep made worse by the revelation that Jack actually told him not to pay more than 1.5 million for him.
1,25m i think..hill and ross told donald not to do it and her ignored them...incredibly stupid..
Would have been a bargain.
ptonanly yes..though it would surely have been the largest contract ever offered at league one leve in hsitory..
He wouldn't have gone for free, we would have got around 500k compensation due to his age.

We decided instead to cash in and then replace a 25 goal a season striker by spunking £3million on Grigg......Don has probably had many sleepless nights over this decision.
we didnt cash in..we got no cahs for him,..
he has never scored 25 goals in a season in his carerr..grigg is a proven league one struiker..and while 33m was always ridiculous money for him..it seemed like the best alternatve availavailable..

Last edited:
It’s easy to say this in hindsight, looking back it’s worth the gamble. What we can’t say is, how effective he’d have been from January to May? This was a player that mysteriously disappeared with illnesses around Christmas/New Year, more than once before he did eventually move, who’s to say he’d consider himself fit to play, especially if there was an odd niggle here and there? Would he still perform if his mind was in Bordeaux? He’s a young lad, what would our supporters reaction to him be? Is he strong enough to cope with the vicious outlook football supporters have when they feel betrayed? Look at STID and Flannagan, a grown man giving him stick in the supermarket while he shopped with his family, because he didn’t think he played well.

There’s another argument to this. We kept him, he wasn’t As good, didn’t score the same amount of goals, Donald is a cheapskate who tried to do it all on the cheap. This is actually an accusation that has been thrown at him, alongside the contradiction that he was reckless and wasted money on Grigg. There’s a few on here deny it now, but the vast majority were happy we signed Grigg, we believed we were guaranteed goals. That could have been money well spent. It turned out to be wrong.

I’m not saying any of my post is right or wrong, it’s impossible to prove, what I am saying is it’s too easy to be confident in what should have happened after the event.

Not if he moved abroad.
That one bit about Donald being both a cheapskate and also spending £3m on Grigg and being an idiot is typical of the contradictory nature of the this board.

1,25m i think..hill and ross told donald not to do it and her ignored them...incredibly stupid..

ptonanly yes..though it would surely have been the largest contract ever offered at league one leve in hsitory..

he has never scored 25 goals in a season in his carerr..grigg is a proven league one struiker..and while 33m was always ridiculous money for him..it seemed like the best alternatve availavailable..

Aye it was but had he scored half a dozen more goals and we had went up we would have been hailing it as a shrewd move. I can understand why he did it but it back fired massively.

Aye it was but had he scored half a dozen more goals and we had went up we would have been hailing it as a shrewd move. I can understand why he did it but it back fired massively.
tbh 3 million was oerpayong no matter what grigg might have done in league one because he definitely wasnt champo standard..

The key two things I reckon people skim over.

The agent clearly wanted a signing on fee, so that would have had to have been paid. Maja is surely going to be on a fairly large wage per week in France. If our max offer is say 8-10k per week, will Bordeaux be offering him less than 15-20-30 per week?

Friday’s edition of L’Equipe has the newspaper’s annual report on salaries in Ligue 1, and for Maja it’s stated he’s earning €65k per month before bonuses. These figures are often questioned, but that tends to be the headline ones rather than for younger players.

if we go with what L'Equipe say, he's on £52k a week.

So anything from say 30k+ a week and we had literally almost zero chance of him signing a new contract with us. He was probably on a couple of thousand at most with his previous contract. You can say negative things about footballers earning too much but in what world was he going to turn down that contract move.

So that then leaves forcing him to stay, and no one knows how that turn out.

The second thing is how people say we spent all the money on Grigg, why didn't we just spend that on Maja. But that seems to completely ignore the timeline of events.

Donald overspent on Grigg at literally the last hour of the window is what looks to have been complete desperation. He doesn't appear to have ever intended to spend that much, so how can you say he should have spent that much on Maja when it wasn't ever really on the table in the first place.

Hindsight as has been mentioned above, is absolutely f***ing ripe on this board.

tbh 3 million was oerpayong no matter what grigg might have done in league one because he definitely wasnt champo standard..

Yep which is why I think losing Maja for nowt at the end of the season and taking a risk on his form dipping if he was unhappy was a better option.
The key two things I reckon people skim over.

The agent clearly wanted a signing on fee, so that would have had to have been paid. Maja is surely going to be on a fairly large wage per week in France. If our max offer is say 8-10k per week, will Bordeaux be offering him less than 15-20-30 per week?

Friday’s edition of L’Equipe has the newspaper’s annual report on salaries in Ligue 1, and for Maja it’s stated he’s earning €65k per month before bonuses. These figures are often questioned, but that tends to be the headline ones rather than for younger players.

if we go with what L'Equipe say, he's on £52k a week.

So anything from say 30k+ a week and we had literally almost zero chance of him signing a new contract with us. He was probably on a couple of thousand at most with his previous contract. You can say negative things about footballers earning too much but in what world was he going to turn down that contract move.

So that then leaves forcing him to stay, and no one knows how that turn out.

The second thing is how people say we spent all the money on Grigg, why didn't we just spend that on Maja. But that seems to completely ignore the timeline of events.

Donald overspent on Grigg at literally the last hour of the window is what looks to have been complete desperation. He doesn't appear to have ever intended to spend that much, so how can you say he should have spent that much on Maja when it wasn't ever really on the table in the first place.

Hindsight as has been mentioned above, is absolutely f***ing ripe on this board.

65k euros a month isn't £52k a week like.

Last edited:
Yep which is why I think losing Maja for nowt at the end of the season and taking a risk on his form dipping if he was unhappy was a better option.

Sorry, good catch. 16k a week, so still 8-10 times more per week than he'd be on previously and double the supposedly final offer we gave?
He'd also be the best payed player at the club?

This is what I noticed. Nearer 16k euros or £12k. Still blows our supposed offer of £10k out of the water-plus his signing on fee plus his agents wedge. We did not have a prayer.

The biggest thing that struck me (only watched up to episode 3 - Boxing Day) is that it came across that the agent didn't care where Maja went and he was only interested in the biggest cut for himself.

Obviously we weren't privy to Maja's involvement or aspirations but if it were my son, I'd have been telling him to hold out until the Summer and see what English clubs come in. He was still very young and I'm not sure a move to France was the best thing at that age. I wouldn't mind betting that even if he went to a Championship side, he'd earn similar to what he's on in France.

I'm not sure how important that million quid was to Sunderland but if it was my team, I would have wanted to forgo it and keep him till the summer. There was then obviously a chance of a move to an English side which would have brought in some kind of compensation fee.

That's part of the problem though, isn't it?

He thought of Maja in the sense that this is beyond a league one player, well he wasn't a league one player, he far outachieved that. If he had looked at it in the terms of the value that he was going to be worth, and the fact that we already had a player at the club with the ability that we could not possibly purchase, along with the analytics, he may have offered a lot more, a lot quicker.

Either way, he then continues to sign a shit striker for the league's record.

That's part of the problem though, isn't it?

He thought of Maja in the sense that this is beyond a league one player, well he wasn't a league one player, he far outachieved that. If he had looked at it in the terms of the value that he was going to be worth, and the fact that we already had a player at the club with the ability that we could not possibly purchase, along with the analytics, he may have offered a lot more, a lot quicker.

Either way, he then continues to sign a shit striker for the league's record.
but i dont think (or didnt at the time) that maja had out achieved league one..he didnt do well in the championship the season before...he had half a good season with us..

but i dont think (or didnt at the time) that maja had out achieved league one..he didnt do well in the championship the season before...he had half a good season with us..

His analytics showed that he was growing to be far beyond a league one player.

It's not mine or your job to state a players potential, it's the people who work with him daily, and staff employed to judge.

The fact that we are a league one club doesn't make a difference to the player. As a silly example, would a 19-year-old Ronaldo be worth 20k as he hadn't quite shown the footballing world his potential in league one or should he accept a 12k a week because this is a record contract for league one?

Either way, we are discussing as if there are rules and protocol that the club goes through when they ripped up any logic that we may be implying with the Grigg transfer.

It wasn’t about how much we offered Maja
It was all about how much his agent could get for himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back