What to do with old Encyclopaedias

Agent Zigzag

Midfield
I have a full set of Brittanica from 1990s. Never really been used and much of the content now out of date. Any Ideas on best way to get rid of them (without tipping them).

I’ve a full set too. I was born in the 60’s and my Dad bought these, on a sort of subscription basis, to help me with my education. There are 24 or 25 I think but I don’t recall them ever being used as I grew up and went through school. Although his heart was in the right place, it must have cost a fortune and of course now they are useless as he didn’t predict the arrival of the internet.
Mine are gathering dust on a shelf in the front room so if there is a good idea about what to do with these, I’d also be interested.

Be interesting looking at certain things and how our understandings have changed over the years.
That doesn't help you get rid of them.
What about Barter books in Alnwick, they take books and give you credit for new books.
Might be worth a call?

I’ve a full set too. I was born in the 60’s and my Dad bought these, on a sort of subscription basis, to help me with my education. There are 24 or 25 I think but I don’t recall them ever being used as I grew up and went through school. Although his heart was in the right place, it must have cost a fortune and of course now they are useless as he didn’t predict the arrival of the internet.
Mine are gathering dust on a shelf in the front room so if there is a good idea about what to do with these, I’d also be interested.
Very similar story here mate. Shame like, it seems a waste.
Edit. Sorry, can't help the OPer.

Last edited:
I can remember the excitement of looking up on the destination of my first ever foreign holiday (no internet back then) in an encyclopedia. Language, currency, geography, places etc. All sounded exotic. It was a bit of a disappointment when I got to Tenerife and everyone spoke English and you could buy a day old copy of The Sun for 200 pesetas.

I'd honestly just keep them, these sets are usually excellent quality and even though some of information is out of date, a lot won't be.

My mam has an old version from the 1930s (I think) and they are brilliant to look through.

Currently in the loft and collecting dust like so much other stuff. Trying the break the keep "it might be worth something in 50 years time".
Be interesting looking at certain things and how our understandings have changed over the years.
That doesn't help you get rid of them.
What about Barter books in Alnwick, they take books and give you credit for new books.
Might be worth a call?

I called them a few months ago and they weren't interested.

I'll try the charity shops otherwise it'll be the tip - sacrilege in know!

Last edited:
pub refurbishment companies must want them, loads of pub makeovers in places like Harvesters etc always include walls with bookshelves, with volumes of books, ornaments, niknaks, small model bicycles etc. Shame to hoy them out like.

Back