What is the point in Sunderland AFC?

Great question. I’m 60 years of age and being born in Sunderland have supported the club for as long as I can remember. I see it as a lifetime curse that my dad wished upon me when I was born. My two sons were born in Buckinghamshire and Sydney but that didn’t stop me passing on the curse. You cannot dodge it, it’s for life. But every now and again (Wycombe at Wembley) it all becomes worth worthwhile . For those few happy occasions we keep the faith. FTM
Exactly, im 63 now, my dad took me to my 1st game in 64, theres been a few highs 73 was the best, a few promotions 78 west ham game at roker park stands out in the memory, cowie era, murray era,, drumaville, short, donald and salmon pants reigns, all had good and bad times, kld with promtion and to a point mowbray with this young team. But the the one thing that kills you is the hope, STD. Im still going week in week out cos its what we do. FTM

Thats literally the story of 90% of clubs in the EFL
Exactly. The trouble with many of you guys is you've had too many perceptions of being some big important club too long so you're setting yourself up for constant disappointment. As we used to say at Boro (at least before the League Cup win): Sick of long train rides down to Wembley? The rush to get tickets for the big matches? The disappointments of just missing out on the champions league? Then support Middlesbro FC, we've won fck all in 125 years...
Expectations have always been inline with the drudge of reality so the occasional big win makes the weekend not the other way round. Works for us!

Absolute dog shite football and always an absolute failure of a club :(
I’m 41.
I’ve been going since I was 8.
In that time I’ve met and spent time watching Sunderland with some of the best people you could ever wish to meet.
I’ve made friends and memories I would never have if it wasn’t for safc.
My 2 lads now are the same as I was when I was young and love the games and people and stories that are made along the way.

Supporting a football team isn’t just about winning and joy.

I’d love for us to have been more successful but I wouldn’t change anything about my time because following a club is more than just results.

I watch my kids belt out wise men say before every home game and it brings me so much satisfaction.

What’s the point in Sunderland afc ???

What would we do without Sunderland afc ??

Win,lose or draw
shite times, good times, it’s all about the bigger picture.
A community and a family of people and millions upon millions of memories and stories that Can’t be taken away.

Poor decisions everywhere within the club. Play the best players or the players that have been performing. Neil has been terrible, Jobe shite, Ba horrendous.
Mundle for Ba, Rigg for Neil and Hermir for Jobe and fockin go for it. No point in hanging back expecting a miracle. Just go for it ya set of bastardows.
Dan Neil has consistently been massively better than Ekwah

Football is eating itself, for the vast majority of football clubs, there is no point. The majority just enjoy having somewhere to go on a Saturday afternoon, but for the dreamers like me, its all become a bit stale. Back in the day, it was perfectly feasible to dream of Sunderland winning the old League 1 title or Hartlepool getting into the old League 2, not anymore, football finances and the way the game is now set up, will mean in future, the majority of teams will find their level in a certain division, the odd promotion, now and again the odd relegation, probably come straight back up or maybe within 3 seasons, but either straight back down, or at best 2 or 3 seasons in the higher league, basically going around in circles, bobbing along, boring. There will always be the exceptions of course, and the chance that a trillionaire might come in and buy their way to the top. Even that is not easy though, as the Mags are currently finding out.

Back