What is the difference between a good coach and a great head coach?

daveyspants

Striker
Mike Dodds is by all accounts a good coach. What he lacks is the tactics and bravery to send a team out with confidence and a game plan. The team yesterday looked stifled and afraid to express themselves. I guess the difference between the two, is that some can inspire, while others can't. If we stick with Dodds, we will continue going backwards. It coud well end in disaster.

Leadership and tactical nous. Coaching will often be routine and can be planned for and that is. Being a a head coach puts real-time decisions on you and need to be able to adapt and read things quickly. Also being a coach you can be friendly and build relationships that help. Being head coach means making difficult decisions amd conversations

Imo we are shite at crossing, finishing, passing, set pieces and more. These are all basic things ant competent coaching team should he able to sort out. So I'm not sure he is a good coach to he honest.

But to answer your question I think the difference is purely a man management thing, head coach/manager should he able to get the players up for the fight. That's what Mowbray was able to do more often than not.

Last edited:
Mike Dodds is by all accounts a good coach. What he lacks is the tactics and bravery to send a team out with confidence and a game plan. The team yesterday looked stifled and afraid to express themselves. I guess the difference between the two, is that some can inspire, while others can't. If we stick with Dodds, we will continue going backwards. It coud well end in disaster.
Ones cheap & mates with speakman other one isn’t

Imo we are shite at crossing, finishing, passing, set pieces and more. These are all basic things ant competent coaching team should he able to sort out. So I'm not sure he is a good coach to he honest.
Always thought there's no reason for any team to be poor on set pieces, it's something you know is going to happen in any game so prepare for it, same as fitness, no excuse for lacking fitness or organisation.

Maybe it's personality and just having been involved in the game as a player at a high level rather than having a load of coaching badges and experience.
Look at Keegan when he joined Newcastle for e.g.

Possibly a no nonsense old fashioned type is best, Allardyce or Alex Neil. Who knows, sometimes there's no rhyme or reason why things just click and work.

We will never know as long as the penny pinching goes on, sadly

Fine margins !i have always been perplexed by how some coaches who clearly demonstrated the ability to utilise a plan B suddenly lose that ability or are for months or years fully cognisant of the location of the dressing room but inexplicably for some reason cannot find it!..as i said fine margins win and your great lose and your shite..i really doubt that if we had fergie or pep as manager last year that they could have done any better with the players available than Tony Mowbray .....In the end its down to the quality of players available and i doubt that any manager parachuted in with the squad available at the moment would do any better than dodds.

Back