What is consciousness?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

I listened to that talk you posted earlier by Andrea Fella on Dependent Origination and thought she gave an excellent account. I'll have to listen to that again. In the Buddhist Wheel of Life schematic those 12 Dependent Originations are placed on the outer rim outside of the six realms and it is worth having a picture of the Wheel of Life before you when listening I think so you can follow the chain in sequence. They are often ignored when people talk about the Wheel of Life because people often focus on the six realms. I thought she was clear about how clinging leads to Becoming and the birth of the Sense of Self and how we form habits through our lifetime that reinforce ignorance. I suppose that even if we experience the heaven of a Deva in this lifetime we are still bound to the cycle through lack of knowledge/ignorance. I think the Sense of Self is hard to let go of and so it is preferable to practice mindfulness to prevent it arising in the first place until eventually...no clinging = no sense of self. I think one lifetime is not enough for most of us so who knows, perhaps we come back to continue our practice of the way until we achieve perfection. Who knows, it's not something I think about. I'll be happy to just experience consciousness in a vacuity at the end. ;)
Yes it's a very good talk, very clear. I was particularly taken by the haiku which I think was in there.

This dew drop world
Is but a dew drop
And yet... And yet

Epitomises that tantalising draw of the potential of permenance, and hence self.

There are many good podcasts on the zencast site where I first heard that.
Mindfulness is an excellent strategy for experiencing letting go, absence, shift, becoming and ceasing.

Last edited:
Awareness of the senses
Basically sounds plausible. Where is the consciousness?
For me, the interesting stuff happens on the subconscious level, that tells us how a person really thinks and feels. Subconscious rocks
Its quite interesting that no one has mentioned the sub conscious yet, its a massive part of consciousness and some say its more prevalent than the thinking consciousness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to that talk you posted earlier by Andrea Fella on Dependent Origination and thought she gave an excellent account. I'll have to listen to that again. In the Buddhist Wheel of Life schematic those 12 Dependent Originations are placed on the outer rim outside of the six realms and it is worth having a picture of the Wheel of Life before you when listening I think so you can follow the chain in sequence. They are often ignored when people talk about the Wheel of Life because people often focus on the six realms. I thought she was clear about how clinging leads to Becoming and the birth of the Sense of Self and how we form habits through our lifetime that reinforce ignorance. I suppose that even if we experience the heaven of a Deva in this lifetime we are still bound to the cycle through lack of knowledge/ignorance. I think the Sense of Self is hard to let go of and so it is preferable to practice mindfulness to prevent it arising in the first place until eventually...no clinging = no sense of self. I think one lifetime is not enough for most of us so who knows, perhaps we come back to continue our practice of the way until we achieve perfection. Who knows, it's not something I think about. I'll be happy to just experience consciousness in a vacuity at the end. ;)
Something I have been reading on and off.

Its quite interesting that no one has mentioned the sub conscious yet, its a massive part of consciousness and some say its more prevalent than the thinking consciousness.
No one has mentioned it because your thread is about conciousness not subconsciousness yer muppet.

An awareness can be sight, sound , touch. You mentioned sub..... you can either hear, touch or see something or you can’t.

An awareness can be sight, sound , touch. You mentioned sub..... you can either hear, touch or see something or you can’t.
I didn't mention subconsciousness it was Cow.

Awareness fits better than conscious I suppose, its the same thing really however somebody who isn't aware can still have a conscious so that could be a problem between the terms awareness and consciousness.

edit: its getting too deep now

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mention subconsciousness it was Cow.

Awareness fits better than conscious I suppose, its the same thing really however somebody who isn't aware can still have a conscious so that could be a problem between the terms awareness and consciousness.

edit: its getting too deep now
Could you explain that bit please? Are we saying that some people are more conscious than others?

Something I have been reading on and off.

I've bookmarked that and will give it a read.

The first book I ever read on Buddhism was 50 years ago and was the Diamond Sutra (Edward Conze translation). Needless to say I didn't understand a f***ing word :) except for the final paragraph in which the Buddha is quoted as saying:

As stars, a fault of vision, as a lamp,
A mock show, dew drops, or a bubble,
A dream, a lightning flash, or cloud,
So should one view what is conditioned.

At the time I remember thinking that if I ever did come to understand it, I would be enlightened. Over time I have come to understand it better but I wouldn't claim to be enlightened so I suppose that is one more concept that I have abandoned. I am at least that one step further on the path. About a year later a close friend went to India and was initiated into the Tibetan Kagyu tantric school headed by the Kagyupa. It is the school founded by Milarepa. Although a while later I met the Kagyupa and received Refuge of the Buddha from him I never became initiated into any tantric teachings because I had already become initiated into the Radhasoami school of Raja Yoga. However, despite continuing to practice the Radhasoami meditation methods, I have always retained a predilection to the Buddhist perspective on non-dualism. A couple of years ago I was talking to this old friend and said that the Diamond Sutra has always remained my favourite Buddhist text but he surprised me by saying that he preferred the Heart Sutra which states:

Form is emptiness and the very emptiness is form
Emptiness does not differ from form
Form does not differ from emptiness
Whatever is form, that is emptiness
Whatever is emptiness, that is form
The same is true of feelings, perceptions, impulses and consciousness.

We live a temporary existence in a temporary world and yet live our lives pretending it's all permanent. Forgive these reminiscences and distractions of an old man.

Last edited:
Could you explain that bit please? Are we saying that some people are more conscious than others?
I believe some people are more conscious than others yes but its just my own opinion. I know nothing about the subject and am learning a lot about it just by reading this thread, some of the posts are incredible.

I've bookmarked that and will give it a read.

The first book I ever read on Buddhism was 50 years ago and was the Diamond Sutra (Edward Conze translation). Needless to say I didn't understand a f***ing word :) except for the final paragraph in which the Buddha is quoted as saying:

As stars, a fault of vision, as a lamp,
A mock show, dew drops, or a bubble,
A dream, a lightning flash, or cloud,
So should one view what is conditioned.

At the time I remember thinking that if I ever did come to understand it, I would be enlightened. Over time I have come to understand it better but I wouldn't claim to be enlightened so I suppose that is one more concept that I have abandoned. I am at least that one step further on the path. About a year later a close friend went to India and was initiated into the Tibetan Kagyu tantric school headed by the Kagyupa. It is the school founded by Milarepa. Although a while later I met the Kagyupa and received Refuge of the Buddha from him I never became initiated into any tantric teachings because I had already become initiated into the Radhasoami school of Raja Yoga. However, despite continuing to practice the Radhasoami meditation methods, I have always retained a predilection to the Buddhist perspective on non-dualism. A couple of years ago I was talking to this old friend and said that the Diamond Sutra has always remained my favourite Buddhist text but he surprised me by saying that he preferred the Heart Sutra which states:

Form is emptiness and the very emptiness is form
Emptiness does not differ from form
Form does not differ from emptiness
Whatever is form, that is emptiness
Whatever is emptiness, that is form
The same is true of feelings, perceptions, impulses and consciousness.

We live a temporary existence in a temporary world and yet live our lives pretending it's all permanent. Forgive these reminiscences and distractions of an old man.
Yes I remember well thinking there would come a point of enlightenment. Now I discover there is enchantment in it like all other things, the ultimate permanence subject to desire and grasping. Next time maybe, or the time after.. Or the time after, or... ;)

In Raja Yoga we tend to use the word conscious in the some context as what Buddhists call mindful. So we would say some people are more conscious of the moment rather than having a head full of distracting thoughts. Everyone would have consciousness though so the use of conscious needs to be placed in context. Not sure if that is what niceonemarra is on about though.

In Raja Yoga we tend to use the word conscious in the some context as what Buddhists call mindful. So we would say some people are more conscious of the moment rather than having a head full of distracting thoughts. Everyone would have consciousness though so the use of conscious needs to be placed in context. Not sure if that is what niceonemarra is on about though.
I tend to think of consciousness as a potential, metal has conductivity to carry charge, consciousness is the conductivity to carry awareness but is not its self the awareness. It is the flame not the light so to speak

That's what I was kind of getting at, yeah. I understand that some folk study the concept to levels that others don't but the starting point as humans is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back