What happens to the stadiums after the world cup?

Stadium 974 looks like a class stadium also the others look magnificent but who do they belong to and what happens.
There’s one made out of shipping containers which is going to be totally dismantled afterwards.

Said on commentary the other day that if (can’t remember the country) wins the bid for 2030 they are going to buy them and rebuild it over there.

There’s one made out of shipping containers which is going to be totally dismantled afterwards.

Said on commentary the other day that if (can’t remember the country) wins the bid for 2030 they are going to buy them and rebuild it over there.

Probably Saudi Arabia I imagine? They're possibly going to (or have) bid.

Looking forward to the world cup in North Korea then...

think i heard a commentator say some would be dismantled and turned into shopping malls , hotels ....some would be used by local teams

Olympic bids have a supposedly huge element of legacy, world cup bids do not and several of the completely un-needed stadia will be dismantled as was always the plan. Really the game should leave poorer countries with improved facilities as a priority over sportswashing where they can easily afford to put them up and then just rip them down.

Olympic bids have a supposedly huge element of legacy, world cup bids do not and several of the completely un-needed stadia will be dismantled as was always the plan. Really the game should leave poorer countries with improved facilities as a priority over sportswashing where they can easily afford to put them up and then just rip them down.

I totally agree with this, but not sure how you can manage it in a lot of countries. Stadiums for the World Cup I believe have to have a capacity of 40,000 .
If there is not the demand for such large stadiums, then what do you do with them afterwards?

To take an example closer to home, Darlington had the Arena built with a capacity of circa 25-30,000. It was a white elephant as they never got such crowds, and never would. The costs of the ground helped propel them into financial trouble.
I agree regarding leaving legacies, but not sure how it is achieved. Even in England, a major tournament mainly results in rich clubs getting improved stadiums

On a side point many of the so called legacies of Olympic bids turn out to be decaying unused infrastructure. London 2012 is probably one of the least bad Olympics in terms of legacy projects. Although a lot of the legacy is new housing and shopping centre on the site

I totally agree with this, but not sure how you can manage it in a lot of countries. Stadiums for the World Cup I believe have to have a capacity of 40,000 .
If there is not the demand for such large stadiums, then what do you do with them afterwards?

To take an example closer to home, Darlington had the Arena built with a capacity of circa 25-30,000. It was a white elephant as they never got such crowds, and never would. The costs of the ground helped propel them into financial trouble.
I agree regarding leaving legacies, but not sure how it is achieved. Even in England, a major tournament mainly results in rich clubs getting improved stadiums

On a side point many of the so called legacies of Olympic bids turn out to be decaying unused infrastructure. London 2012 is probably one of the least bad Olympics in terms of legacy projects. Although a lot of the legacy is new housing and shopping centre on the site

good post marra.

Brazil's legacy was massive public debt while FIFA made more money that they had planned on making.
Looks like poorer countries should stay away as it’s akin to a small L1 club betting the farm on making it to the promised land. Miss your mark and you’re doomed.

Back