What do people eat for tea?

Just about to hit the big 50 and have been told my cholesterol is too high.
Not sure what I do about that...

I'm lifting weight 3/4 times a week and my daily protein intake is about 200g.
I don't take anything else except creatine.
I didn't think my diet was too bad although my salt consumption is probably too high and I am trying to reduce it.

So breakfast is a shake: 30g whey, 60g rolled oats, a banana and semi skimmed milk.
I have a 450g pot if skyr 2 hours later, it has literally no fat in it and low salt.
Lunch is air fried chicken breast with a yeet microwave rice pot.
I'll have a whey shake with water later and a crumpet with some peanut butter at some point for a snack.

Really struggling what to do about tea, needs some cards in it though for the gym as I feel wiped without it.
Have been having steak, pork steaks or 4 egg omelettes but they're probably not good for the cholesterol.

What's everyone else doing?

I didn't think my diet was too bad although my salt consumption is probably too high and I am trying to reduce it.

So breakfast is a shake: 30g whey, 60g rolled oats, a banana and semi skimmed milk.
I have a 450g pot if skyr 2 hours later, it has literally no fat in it and low salt.
I'll have a whey shake with water later and a crumpet with some peanut butter at some point for a snack.

Really struggling what to do about tea, needs some cards in it though for the gym as I feel wiped without it.
Have been having steak, pork steaks or 4 egg omelettes but they're probably not good for the cholesterol.

Cholesterol converts to testosterone anyway.

I normally have a steak, or go to Manjaros.

Did they tell you your actual readings?

I had a health check last year.

LDL (bad cholesterol) was high … but
HDL (good cholesterol) was also high.

HDL- LDL was ok. If I keel over then I blame Nuffield health.

I tend to eat porridge & blueberries for breakfast.

Fish & brown bread dinner time.

Whey protein after gym work out.

Poached eggs and/or cooked ham slices at about 4pm.

Main meal any time between 6pm and 8pm usually meat, veg, carbs. 2 or 3 times a week is something made in slow cooker e.g. chicken curry with lentils, frozen spinach etc.

Last edited:

Fish. It'll be the red meat and eggs pushing up the cholesterol.

You could put sea bass with noodles and veg. Cod with tomato based sauce, potatoes and greens. Smoked haddock kedigree. Good old fish and chips done in the air fryer.
Get yourself down the fish quay and fill your boots.

Fish. It'll be the red meat and eggs pushing up the cholesterol.

You could put sea bass with noodles and veg. Cod with tomato based sauce, potatoes and greens. Smoked haddock kedigree. Good old fish and chips done in the air fryer.
Get yourself down the fish quay and fill your boots.
You’d probably go for a ‘Mediterranean diet’ to lower cholesterol.

Last edited:
Did I forget to say I don't like fish 😁

I've got an NHS health check next week, should get my readings then.
Chicken curry sounds good but I can't eat chicken twice a day for the rest if my life..admittedly it could end up not being for long.
Don't like fish? What's wrong with you? 😂

You're either eating the wrong type of fish or cooking it wrong. So many options out there. Start experimenting and could back on the read meat.

Chicken and turkey are an option I guess.

Edit: just read you can't eat chicken twice a day ffs!

Last edited:
Did I forget to say I don't like fish 😁

I've got an NHS health check next week, should get my readings then.
Chicken curry sounds good but I can't eat chicken twice a day for the rest if my life..admittedly it could end up not being for long.
After my health check (I am 50+ too) we tried to have 2 family main meals a week that were non-meat based.

It didn’t last long for us, but you can give it a try.

Soya meat balls gave me excess wind.

Quorn is ok but a bit bland unless you mix with interesting sauces.

Add lentils, pulses, chickpeas to stews.

Back