What can you remember about your Grandparent's house?

Maternal 126 Middle street Blackhall...up by the rec on your left as you head out towards horden....back yard, outside loo, big range and a parlour (never used)

Paternal....Raby road Hartlepool...not a lot of memories tbh.....then Maxwell road 1 bed bungalow....always rammed with relatives when i was there

Logon or register to see this image

Paternal Grandma,lived in a little bungalow adjoining Sparks farm.So whenever I played football or cricket there on a saturday morning,after we finished I would climb over her back fence and she would cook me a breakfast.Then I would run home to Thorney close. Happy Days.

till i was 9 i lived with my Granparents and my Mam and loved that house..

i live just around the corner from that house now

Nan always seemed to be baking....Grandad was school caretaker

playing dominoes..and they'd let me win all the time

I was living with mine at a young age, while my parent were away in the military. They lived in Shelf of outskirts Bradford/Halifax, with a sizable country pad backing onto the woods. I could barely remember the inside, but apart from bedtime I was outside in the woods, on the country lanes, even in winter there is pics of my with my sledge and rolling snowmen. The only smell I can remember was when the fields were scattered with shite.

Outside toilet. Their house was pulled down in the 70's and they were shifted to Witherwack.
Outside the back yard was literally a bomb site...I have the scars on my legs to this day from falling in the rubble.
Potts St off Hylton Road if anyone remembers the area. John's the barbers on Hylton Rd (a hairdressers now) was at the end of the street.

Coal fire
Teaching me how to play Blackjack for coppers
The vintage train set we used to play with there
Grandad's rocking chair
Proper chip pan chips
In later years teaching me how to chop wood with an axe
The meltdown my mother had when I told her he'd taught me how to chop wood with an axe
The nicest people on god's earth

Roaring fire
Outside toilet
Proper Sunday lunch being prepared as early as Friday, split peas soaking, Sago rice pudding in those white enamel dishes, yorkshire pudding as a starter with sage and onion gravy
Nanna and Granda playing cards on a Sunday afternoon, Bullseye on the tv in the background

Blimey the memories from reading people's posts. Quite emotional.

Paternal were working class, coal fires. butter dish, tea pot with a cosy and sugar bowl always on table. Grandma used to be school cook plus had 8 bairns so was always baking or cooking apart from wash day when I don't think anyone got to eat. The hot water was controlled by a tap thing in the fireplace. Coal house in the garden. My grandad was ex miner who shaved every day with his vest on and his braces hanging down. Biggest wall in the world along their garden, felt like 10ft high as a bairn, was about a foot. Used to spend hours on a sunday hoying a tennis ball at the tin street sign attached to side of their house. Cabbage boiling from about 09:00 as well.

Maternal were middle class, big house in roker. Always had villa pop and chocolate covered ginger biscuits there. Clothes drying pully that hung from kitchen ceiling. Servants bells from 20's or 30's still worked in various rooms but they got them disconnected when us grandbairns got too noisy with them. Seemed like hundreds of rooms with really thick carpets. Only a small back yard where I used to be Gary Rowell scoring volleys and piledrivers against the wall.

As lots are saying, such happy safe places

Crinkle cut chips cooked in the deep fat fryer, fried eggs with runny yolks and bread absolutely caked with lurpak.

Tea bag sat to the side of the kitchen sink, being used to with in an inch of its life. I don’t think they realised rationing had finished decades earlier :lol:

Grandma’s organ in the back bedroom.

Video tapes in burgundy leather look cases on the bookshelf.

Alley way between their neighbours being caked in bird shite from the nesting pigeons.

My grandads Nissan Bluebird parked outside.

Lambs rum and peppermint cordial.
I used to get my granda to cook me frozen crinkle cut chips in the deep fat fryer on a low temperature because I liked them soggy. What a little scruffy kid I was.

Massive house. Upstairs a very long narrow corridor with mini corridors branching out from the main one. Creepy as fuck. My grandma used to talk about 'Carly' the ghost of a young girl who occupied a back staircase at the far end of the corridor.

One Christmas before going to bed, I walked to my bedroom only to hear my 4 year old cousin giggling from a distance. I went to see what she was up to. As I turned the corner, I saw her sat down staring blankly ahead looking completely inanimate. I asked her what she was doing and without any expression she said 'I was talking to Carly'.

I still feel cold everytime I think about it.

my Grandad died about 30 years ago and I still miss him and my Grandma. Both MLF's hence why I am.
Played cards for sweets and coppers every friday night
Took me for a walk all the time and we used to plait string into knots while we walked which we pulled apart when home
Grandma used to make this spring onion lettuce thing in vinegar that we put on our Sunday dinner....loved it whatever it was
Grandad watched every game of football I played from the age of 5 to 18
Doing wordsearches with him while I was on his knee
Lighting a real fire with him on saturday mornings with scrunched up newspaper and kindling and putting smoke right through the house

Simple things but such good times and memories.

Did they spell Fulwell wrong as well marra?

Back